History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

5 and 6 Bonaly Steading, Bonaly Road with Gate Pier

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9018 / 55°54'6"N

Longitude: -3.2594 / 3°15'33"W

OS Eastings: 321352

OS Northings: 668351

OS Grid: NT213683

Mapcode National: GBR 50P6.46

Mapcode Global: WH6SR.XX2G

Entry Name: 5 and 6 Bonaly Steading, Bonaly Road with Gate Pier

Listing Date: 19 December 1979

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397098

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49546

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Colinton/Fairmilehead

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Colinton

Description

Mid 19th century, converted McTaggart and Mickel, 1985. 2-storey 6-bay former cartshed and granary (now flats and garages), gabled to N and cross-gable to S; 4 lintelled cartshed openings to E; forward-facing gable to W with 3 arched slit windows at 1st floor. Squared, coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar window margins. 2 modern doors at ground to left of E elevation; 4 cart entrances to right; small windows at 1st floor with larger window to centre. Blind gable to N. Forward-facing gable to outer right of W elevation; former door (now window) at ground to centre with bracketed canopy; 3 arched slit windows above; small windows at first floor across rest of elevation. Irregular fenestration to S.

Predominantly non traditional tilt-windows; some timber sash and case windows to larger openings. Ashlar-coped skews with shaped skewputts. Graded grey slate. Red ridge tiles.

GATEPIER: single ashlar-coped gatepier to N.

Statement of Interest

This was the steading of Bonaly Farm. Other surviving buildings are the farm house, the farm cottages (19-23 Bonaly Road) and the 1887 Farm Overseer's house (20 Bonaly Road). The house and the cottages are listed separately, 20 Bonaly Road is not listed. Together, these buildings form an important reminder of Bonaly's agricultural past. The farm was built between 1834 and 1855: it is shown on the 1st edition OS map, but not on Gellatly's New Map of The County 12 Miles Around Edinburgh. It also appears on John Bell's Plan Of The Estate Of Spylaw, to which it was evidently added some time after the map had been drawn. The steading was originally built in a rough U-plan. In the 1985 conversion most of the original fabric was demolished, and this wing is the main surviving section. The 1985 additions are easily distinguishable because they are harled and the original fabric is not. One other section of original fabric survives in the SE outshot of the courtyard. It is not included in this list.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.