History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

65 Bonaly Road, the Cottage (Former Coach House and Stables) at Bonaly Tower, with Garden Statuary

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8971 / 55°53'49"N

Longitude: -3.2587 / 3°15'31"W

OS Eastings: 321387

OS Northings: 667825

OS Grid: NT213678

Mapcode National: GBR 50P7.9W

Mapcode Global: WH6SY.X1DJ

Entry Name: 65 Bonaly Road, the Cottage (Former Coach House and Stables) at Bonaly Tower, with Garden Statuary

Listing Date: 19 November 2003

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397102

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49548

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Colinton/Fairmilehead

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Colinton

Description

W wing circa 1845, S wing circa 1885, converted to dwelling house 1972-82. 2-storey, L-plan former stable block and coach house. Composed of interconnecting blocks of different hights as follows: M-gable (circa 1880) to S elevation, right-hand gable extending back to courtyard, left-hand gable intersecting with E-W orientated block (circa 1845) at centre of W elevation, and continued to N in slightly lower outshot. Single-storey piend-roofed section to east of S range. Crowstepped gables; decorative cartouche frame around central oculus window to W (see Notes). Roughly coursed squared sandstone with droved ashlar quoins and window dressings. Irregular fenestration.

S ELEVATION: circa 1880; large M-gable; timber panelled door to centre; irregular fenestration with various sized windows. Slightly later single-storey piend-roofed block to outer right with timber boarded door and single window.

W ELEVATION: 3 sections; original building at centre and left. Gable to centre, with gablehead stack and cartouche frame decorated with scrolled acanthus and shells around oculus at gable apex; slightly recessed 2-storey section to right with single window at ground and shouldered stack at wallhead; single-storey section to left with single window and timber panelled loft door at gablehead to left (N) return.

N ELEVATION AND COURTYARD: gable to centre; twentieth century windows and stone work at ground, replacing original coach-entrance. Piend-roofed section to left with window and timber boarded door. Advanced section to right of central gable with twentieth century timber panelled door and porch to N; gabled to left (E) return with windows at both floors and gablehead stack. Single-storey block to outer right, forming arm of L; pair of 2-leaf timber boarded coach-house doors with strap hinges between slim central pier to E elevation.

Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to W elevation. Coped stacks; 1 surviving red clay can. Graded grey slate.

GARDEN STATUARY: several pieces of decorative stone work, including a large urn stand in the garden (see Notes).

Statement of Interest

B-Group with Bonaly Tower and Lord Cockburn's Bath. This building stands in the grounds of Bonaly Tower, which was the home of Lord Cockburn between 1811 and his death in 1854. The earlier part of the stable block, which is shown on the 1855 OS map, was therefore almost certainly built for Lord Cockburn. The decorative cartouche frame around the oculus window corroborates this idea, as Lord Cockburn was a keen collector of ornamental masonry, and many other pieces of decorative stonework are to be found in the grounds of Bonaly Tower. In about 1882 John Watherston, an Edinburgh builder, produced plans for an extension to the stables. The building, as it now stands, is significantly different from Watherston's proposals, but the South wing must have been built at about this time, as it appears on the 1894 OS map. The upper storey of the extension provided accommodation for the gardener and his family. The 1946 Dean of Guild plans, which are by the same firm of architects that converted Bonaly Tower into flats, show a proposal to extend the building and turn it into 2 cottages for agricultural workers. These plans do not seem to have been carried out, and in 1972 the house was purchased in a semi-derelict condition by a builder, who carried out renovations between 1972 and 1982.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.