History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

64 Bridge Road, the Royal Bank of Scotland

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9074 / 55°54'26"N

Longitude: -3.2586 / 3°15'30"W

OS Eastings: 321414

OS Northings: 668968

OS Grid: NT214689

Mapcode National: GBR 87Y.FV

Mapcode Global: WH6SR.XSG6

Entry Name: 64 Bridge Road, the Royal Bank of Scotland

Listing Date: 19 December 2003

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397107

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49553

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Colinton/Fairmilehead

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Colinton

Description

Circa 1908, altered circa 1923. Single-storey (2-storeys to N), flat-roofed bank (former shop) with circa 1923 plain entablature to W supported on free-standing paired Doric columns in antis. Painted render with sandstone ashlar dressings to S and W elevations only. Basecourse, entablature to S and W with projecting cornice and blocking course. Entrance to S with roll-moulded doorpiece and projecting canopy above. Window to left with flanking pilasters; 2-bay section to right with simpler entablature and blocking course. West elevation with paired columns in antis flanking central window and supporting projecting entablature. Regular fenestration to N.

Statement of Interest

Occupies a very prominent position at the acute corner junction between Bridge Road and Spylaw Street. The columned W elevation is an important part of the streetscape. This site was previously occupied by a small cottage, until about 1908, when a row of shops was built here. The end shop was converted to a bank in about 1923, and the columns were added at this time. At some point the bank has been extended into the neighbouring shop, and this part of the S elevation is considerably plainer. The windows originally had border-glazing, but this has been replaced. This building originally opened as a branch of the British Linen Bank, but by the 1950s it was owned by the Commercial Bank of Scotland.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.