This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9798 / 54°58'47"N
Longitude: -3.6216 / 3°37'17"W
OS Eastings: 296313
OS Northings: 566228
OS Grid: NX963662
Mapcode National: GBR 3B4V.QN
Mapcode Global: WH5X3.B3N6
Entry Name: 6-11 (Inclusive Nos), the Square Including Old Smithy and Former Weigh- House
Listing Date: 15 December 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397163
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49586
Building Class: Cultural
Location: New Abbey
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Abbey
Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire
Mid 18th century in origin with many later alterations. Single storey and attic row of cottages with bowed corner end to N, and later lean-to former weigh-house at SW. Harled sandstone with raised ashlar margins to doors and windows. Alternating doors and windows at ground; probably later bipartite with stone mullion between doors to numbers 7 and 9; later 2-leaf timber sliding doors to old smithy at No. 6. Small plaque above forge door, inscribed BY HAMMER AND HAND ALL ARTS DO STAND. R.M. 1775~. 4 later piend-roofed dormers with decorative brackets and slate-hung cheeks to attic.
Predominantly 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; some uPVC windows at N end. Ashlar-coped skews. Coped sandstone stacks with thake-stones; tall, decorative yellow clay cans. Very distinctive graded grey Lancashire slate.
Listed for historical interest, and streetscape value. The bracketed dormers are a nice detail. The excellently hung slates on the roof are also notable, with very large slates at the bottom and tiny ones at the top. This emphatic grading of the slates is traditional in this part of the country, and survives on a number of cottages in the village. Number 6 used to be the old smithy, and the last blacksmith, Joe Treland, died in about 1955. The lean-to building outside the smithy is the old weigh-house. The weighing machine stood just in front of it, and is marked on the c.1900 OS map, and is shown in the picture mentioned above.
Other nearby listed buildings