History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hallmuir, Ukranian Chapel (Greek Catholic) with Memorial

A Category B Listed Building in Annandale North, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0995 / 55°5'58"N

Longitude: -3.3671 / 3°22'1"W

OS Eastings: 312865

OS Northings: 579197

OS Grid: NY128791

Mapcode National: GBR 49XG.VS

Mapcode Global: WH6XS.72WZ

Entry Name: Hallmuir, Ukranian Chapel (Greek Catholic) with Memorial

Listing Date: 18 December 2003

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397172

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49592

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dryfesdale

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Annandale North

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Lockerbie

Description

1942. Single storey, pitched roof, prefabricated hut forming Ukrainian Prisoner of War chapel. Painted corrugated asbestos on timber frame and concrete base. Timber door to N with flanking windows; former electricity pylon above; 2 windows each to E and W elevations. 4- and 6-pane timber windows. Corrugated asbestos roof.

INTERIOR: 6 bays divided by simple kingposted roof trusses. Timber partition forming altar-screen at S end; round-arched opening at centre through to High Altar; square-headed openings to sides. Timber pews, altars, lectern and other furnishings. Ceiling painted blue with gold stars

MEMORIAL: by entrance. Timber post on concrete base, bearing plastic plaque inscribed, in Ukrainian and English "This chapel was created by Ukrainian POWs during their internment here after World War 2".

Statement of Interest

In use as an ecclesiastical building. This is the best preserved building surviving in the former Prisoner of War camp, 68 Working Camp, Halmuir Farm. Four other buildings from the camp still exist (two of these are formed from several huts joined together), but they are in a rather dilapidated condition. The camp probably dates from the early 1940s, and originally had 40 buildings. The Ukrainian POWs arrived here after the war in 1947, and previous to that it had been occupied by German and Italian POWs. This building is known to have been used as a chapel by the Italians. After the Ukrainians arrived, they fitted out the chapel in an enthusiastic, if necessarily make-shift manner. Paintings by the POWs hang on the walls, the candlesticks were made out of shell fragments, the banners flanking the altar were made out of the Italians? tents, and on the high altar stands a replica of a Ukrainian Cathedral, which was carved with a penknife. What is perhaps most unusual, is that the chapel remained in use after the camp was disbanded, and services in Ukrainian are still held here several times a year. This chapel is a truly remarkable survival, and is of significant historic importance. The only other surviving POW chapel in Scotland, is the Italian Chapel on Lamb Holm, Orkney. Although the Ukrainian chapel lacks the artistic achievements of the Italian Chapel, it is an equally evocative reminder of wartime spirit, and the way the prisoners found ways to overcome the privations of their situation.

________________________________________________________

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.