This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1162 / 56°6'58"N
Longitude: -3.9375 / 3°56'15"W
OS Eastings: 279625
OS Northings: 693181
OS Grid: NS796931
Mapcode National: GBR 1C.LPCD
Mapcode Global: WH4P6.HJ6M
Entry Name: 58,60,62,64,66,68,70 Port Street
Listing Date: 18 December 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397182
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49599
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stirling West
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Ebenezer Simpson, 1900 - 4-storey tenement including shops to ground floor, 8-bay with pressed-in canted windows to outer-bays, paired to central section. Red sandstone ashlar to principal (SE) elevation; brick to plain rear elevation; rubble to SW gable, pitched slate roof, large ashlar gable end and ridge stacks (that to SW rendered). Principal elevation ornamented by stonework detail including pedimented strip pilasters, moulded window surrounds, cartouches, corniced cill, string and eaves courses, surmounted by balustrade, gabled wallhead to centre, this and outer-bays capped by shaped broken pediment with flanking miniature obelisks. Modern shopfronts; 2 original pedimented close doors flanking central shop providing access to flats. Some original plate glass timber sash and case windows remaining.
A dominant wide-fronted tenement with an array of decorated detailing contributing significantly to the streetscape of Port Street. Although stylistically very different from its immediate neighbour at 52-56 Port Street (see separate listing), both buildings are in fact by the same local architect - E Simpson - and were built within a year of each other (58-70 being the earlier of the two). Simpson visually links both buildings by employing the motif of strip pilasters to each. The Dean of Guild plans and the Ordnance Survey Maps and Valuation Rolls indicate that the building was designed and built with a large tenement block to the rear, creating an overall T-plan. The tenement block to the rear was made up of 24 flats and was named the Alexandra Buildings. Although both tenement blocks stood separately with no internal communication, they were physically joined by a central rear outshot at basement and ground floor (this outshot remains although heavily modernised). The Town Council records during the 1970s show that there were various ideas for the demolition of Alexandra Buildings and re-use of the site. It Is noted that the Town Council wanted to build a District Library on the site with the owners at the time proposing a shopping mall. During the late 1970s the council purchased all the flats and the tenement was pulled down some time in the early 1980s - the flats were very small (one large room with kitchenette and a shared W.C.) making them difficult to reconfigure for modern living and a prime candidate for redevelopment. After demolition the site has lain empty and is currently used as a car-park.
Other nearby listed buildings