This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7743 / 55°46'27"N
Longitude: -3.9188 / 3°55'7"W
OS Eastings: 279736
OS Northings: 655107
OS Grid: NS797551
Mapcode National: GBR 112N.DX
Mapcode Global: WH4QY.S435
Entry Name: Wishaw, 57 Kirk Road, Former Cinema
Listing Date: 20 January 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397188
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49604
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Town: Motherwell And Wishaw
Electoral Ward: Wishaw
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
James L Ross, 1920. 3-storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan, Edwardian-style former cinema. Painted brick to principal elevation (late 20th century polished granite tiling to ground floor); rendered brick to sides; plain brick to rear. Pyramidal roofed towers with deep bracketed eaves flanking central Diocletian window; decorative stained glass.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central 3-storey section, recessed late 20th century glazed entrance; keystoned Diocletian window at 1st floor; bay-leaf garland panel inscribed: 'CINEMA' with flanking lattice and stained glass windows. Breaking eaves towers with deep bracketed flanking central section with doorways to ground floor; long narrow lattice and stained glass windows at 1st and 2nd floors. Narrow 2-storey outer bays, narrow windows in between ground and 1st floors, and at 1st floor. Backlit metal and glass signage inscribed 'CLASSIC', at 1st floor left.
NE ELEVATION: irregular fenestration.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: plain wallhead.
SW ELEVATION: irregular fenestration.
INTERIOR: converted to arcade and pool hall
An early cinema built prior to the introduction of sound production, with interesting architectural detailing to principal elevation, in particular the double towers. Originally opened as The Cinema in 1920 for the Thomas Ormiston group, providing seating for 1,100 cinema viewers, a relatively large capacity for the period. The Gaumont group acquired the cinema in 1928. In 1967, the cinema became part of the Classic cinema group. The stalls were later converted to an amusement arcade and a small cinema continued to function upstairs. A cinema is no longer operated, but the building continues to be used as an amusement arcade and pool hall.
Other nearby listed buildings