History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ury Estate, Blue Lodge

A Category C Listed Building in Stonehaven and Lower Deeside, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.9788 / 56°58'43"N

Longitude: -2.2431 / 2°14'35"W

OS Eastings: 385323

OS Northings: 787538

OS Grid: NO853875

Mapcode National: GBR XH.SP64

Mapcode Global: WH9RF.JV2B

Entry Name: Ury Estate, Blue Lodge

Listing Date: 20 January 2004

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397195

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49610

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Fetteresso

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside

Traditional County: Kincardineshire

Find accommodation in
Stonehaven

Description

Probably John Baird of Glasgow, circa 1855, extended to rear. Single storey, 2-bay gabled lodge. Squared and snecked granite with bull-faced dressings and quoins. Base course. Relieving arches. Chamfered stone mullions and reveals, and raked cills.

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay with tripartite window in bay to right, finialled and pedimented braced timber canopy over timber door with 2-part fanlight and flanking downpipes (see below) on return to left; further tripartite window on recessed face to left.

NE ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay with tripartite window to left of centre and bipartite window to right.NW ELEVATION: broad gabled bay with door to right and small flat-roofed extension adjoining at outer right.

8-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Tall coped and shouldered bull-faced stack to E, that to W removed. Overhanging eaves with decorative timber bargeboarding and decorative cast-iron finial. Square-section downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers and fixings.

Statement of Interest

John Baird of Glasgow designed the new Ury House for Alexander Baird who took over the estate after the death of Captain Robert Barclay-Allardice in 1854. At this time a new viaduct was erected to the east of the main house, with the Blue Lodge sited at the east entrance. The nearby Blue Gate and Quadrant Walls are listed separately.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.