History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Beauly Market Cross

A Category B Listed Building in Kilmorack, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.4842 / 57°29'2"N

Longitude: -4.4591 / 4°27'32"W

OS Eastings: 252676

OS Northings: 846436

OS Grid: NH526464

Mapcode National: GBR H8CY.875

Mapcode Global: WH3F7.G4WX

Entry Name: Beauly Market Cross

Listing Date: 28 January 2004

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397221

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49635

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kilmorack

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Aird and Loch Ness

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Find accommodation in
Beauly

Description

Significant remaining part of earlier 14th century market cross. Weathered capital with moulded base attached to re-assembled square-plan shaft with rounded edges standing on original and modern plinths (capital and shaft with a number of repairs). Sandstone with resin, mortar and concrete repairs.

Statement of Interest

Although being re-sited a number of times, and having lost some of its original fabric, the market cross at Beauly is one of the oldest surviving standing market crosses in Scotland acting as an important early historical symbol of burgh status. McGibbon and Ross (NMRS Archive) state that the cross was originally erected on the high road above Beauly by Lord Hugh Fraser in c.1430 and that in 1746 the cross was broken into several pieces with the pedestal being removed to Belladrum house (the pedestal has never been traced), it is probable at this time that the crosslets and cross section were lost. The cross was re-erected sometime after this using an internal iron rod and relocated to the market square to a position nearby Beauly Priory (see separate listing), it has since been moved to a number of locations within the N end of the square. The name book of 1872 states that it had already been "shifted 3 times in the last 100 years". During the 1970s, due to the deteriorating condition of the cross, the shaft was detached from the base and stored in pieces in the priory. In the late 1980s the cross was re-erected and again re-positioned in the square using part of the original plinths and a new stone base. Various remedial works have been carried since its re-erection in the late 1980s, (2003).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.