This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8183 / 55°49'5"N
Longitude: -4.1655 / 4°9'55"W
OS Eastings: 264414
OS Northings: 660462
OS Grid: NS644604
Mapcode National: GBR 3W.6G5W
Mapcode Global: WH4QM.Z0LX
Entry Name: Cambuslang, 13 Tabernacle Lane, Masonic Hall
Listing Date: 3 February 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397227
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49643
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Cambuslang West
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Dated 1903. 2-storey, 5-bay, roughly rectangular-plan Masonic lodge on ground sloping to N. Snecked bull-faced red sandstone; rendered to rear. Red-sandstone ashlar dressings; distinctive neat, squared tooling on diagonal to deep moulded base course; corniced cill courses; deep corniced eaves course to E (principal elevation); plain eaves course to N, W and S; corniced windows at ground floor. Prominent pedimented and pilastered doorways; full-height corniced pilasters breaking eaves, dividing bays of principal elevation; central triangular pediment carved with 5-point star, stone finial and flanking stone spheres.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central paired windows; pedimented and pilastered doorways to penultimate bays (right hand pediment with carved Mason's symbol; that to left with carved date: "1903"); small window to right of right-hand door; single windows to outer bays. Paired windows to central 3 bays at first floor; single windows to outer bays at 1st floor. Carved inscription below eaves, centred below central triangular pediment: 'CAMBUSLANG ROYAL ARCH LODGE 114'.
N ELEVATION: central narrow window at ground floor.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: advanced piended stair tower to far right, door to left return; later 20th century brick-built fire escape staircase to far left. Regular fenestration (all blocked except for single window and doors to far
S ELEVATION: wallhead canted to left; central recessed bay with rounded stair tower window; flanking windows at ground and 1st floors (blocked).
2- and 3-pane metal-framed windows. Pitched and piended roof; grey slates; terracotta ridge tiles; corniced ashlar stacks to wallheads; circular clay cans.
INTERIOR: ground floor subdivided and converted in later 20th century to bar and dining facility; kitchen to SW of plan. Principal staircase to SE of plan, dentilled and corniced stairwell, carved timber balusters; round-arched stained glass window to stair landing depicting Lodge No 114 symbols. Temple Hall occupying 1st floor, platform piended ceiling with geometric plaster mouldings; balustraded raised platform to N with central segmental-arched and keystoned recess, flanking pilasters; windows to W converted into glazed display cases.
Built in 1903 for Cambuslang Royal Arch Lodge, No. 114. Bold use of stonework to principal elevation, in particular the doorways and central pediment. Still in use as a Masonic Lodge (2003).
Other nearby listed buildings