This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.8622 / 55°51'43"N
Longitude: -3.0777 / 3°4'39"W
OS Eastings: 332647
OS Northings: 663749
OS Grid: NT326637
Mapcode National: GBR 60YN.HD
Mapcode Global: WH6T1.PXNB
Entry Name: Cockpen Farm, Barn
Listing Date: 3 February 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397234
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49645
Building Class: Cultural
Local Authority Ward: Midlothian South
Traditional County: Midlothian
Farmhouse and farm buildings arranged around a cobbled farm yard. 19th century buildings, including 18th century and possibly earlier build (i.e. barns to E and W and cartshed and granary). Sandstone rubble.
Early to mid 19th century 3-bay, 2 storey farmhouse with contemporary lean-to. Later (?1870s) corniced, ashlar porch with panelled and margined door with fanlight (heightened later) and rear lean-to addition. Tooled rubble, droved ashlar to quoins and window surrounds. Unevenly placed windows to rear including 16 pane timber sash and case window with red sandstone surround (possibly re-used from elsewhere). 4-pane timber sash and case windows to front (S), 4-, 12- and 16 panes to rear. Pitched slate roof; rendered replacement stacks, stone skews.
Probably the earliest building on the farm is the 2-storey barn attached to the farmhouse to the west. Rubble walls; raised wallhead with small vaulted structure to S (possible fire/furnace?) and 3-bay, 2-storey cottage attached to N. Cottage has also been heightened including 2 dormer windows breaking eaves to front (W). Gable apex stone stacks to cottage, brick stack to S barn gable. Timber sash and case windows to cottage. Pitched slate roof to cottage, corrugated asbestos to barn.
Byre (currently stables, 2003) to N range of courtyard; tooled rubble, stone skews, pitched slate roof, later brick addition to part of S elevation. Threshing barn to W range incorporating early stonework including doorpiece. Stonework indicates 2 changes in roof height. Corrugated asbestos roof. Roofless cartshed and granary added to S gable of threshing barn, with cartshed and granary openings to S; relieving arches above doors in W elevation.
Stone rubble wall to front of W barn and cottage continues in front of farmhouse and southwards along entrance driveway.
Cockpen Farm is a neatly arranged and compact steading which probably underwent early improvements in the 18th century and again in the 19th century. The early stonework in the W range
indicates that this may have been a long, low range incorporating a barn, byre and the earliest farmhouse. Early stonework is also evident in the threshing barn and cartshed and granary. The current farmhouse is likely to have been a 19th century addition to the farm.
The 1861 plan of the farm depicts the steading complete with garden to the N of the stables, tree-lined boundaries to named fields with acreage, some of which still remain, a trackway leading westwards from the steading and a circular horse engine house (now gone, 2003) to the E of the threshing barn.
Cockpen House is referred to in the traditional song 'The Laird o'Cockpen'. The Laird was Mark Carse/Cass [H Meikle (Ed.) The Diary of Sir William Drummond of Hawthornden in Miscellany of the Scottish History Society, Vol 7 (1941) p.43]. Cockpen House was a mansion house which stood to the W of Cockpen Farm and was ruinous by 1792. Stone from Cockpen House could have been re-used in some of the farm buildings, or the farm may have served the house. The later 18th century tower (which is separately listed), stands in the field to the W of the farm and was most likely associated with Cockpen House.