This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0514 / 56°3'5"N
Longitude: -3.2987 / 3°17'55"W
OS Eastings: 319208
OS Northings: 685041
OS Grid: NT192850
Mapcode National: GBR 24.QNW7
Mapcode Global: WH6S5.95F8
Plus Code: 9C8R3P22+HG
Entry Name: Aberdour, 1 Seaside Place, Seaside House Including Iron Railings
Listing Date: 24 March 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397269
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49683
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aberdour (Fife)
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Parish: Aberdour (Fife)
Traditional County: Fife
Early 1820s with late 20th century alterations. Basement and 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan house. Principal elevation; droved ashlar, base course, band course between storeys, eaves cornice, small parapet with raised central section. Rear elevation; coursed grey sandstone, raised margins with long and short surrounds to openings and quoins, eaves course with cornice. Random rubble to gables.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation. Centred door to basement, flanking windows. 2 steps to landing across basement well to main entrance; doorpiece with narrow pilasters and entablature, tall flanking windows. 3 smaller 1st floor windows close to eaves arranged above openings below. Advanced gate entrance to left, converted storeroom advanced to right.
NE ELEVATION: raised store at basement level, plain reconditioned gable wall.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation. Timber steps running to 1st floor, flanking basement windows close to ground. Centred full-length ground floor window, timber balcony to left, tall flanking windows. Smaller 1st floor windows close to eaves arranged above openings below.
SW ELEVATION: ground and 1st floor window to right. Advanced converted storeroom to basement; brick lean-to addition above.
Timber panelled door to basement and ground floor, scalloped astragals to fanlight to NW. Timber lying pane sash and case windows; 12-pane to ground floor, 8-pane to basement and 1st floor. Centred ground floor rear window; small timber 2-leaf panel section below glazing which opens with sash window to create door. Piended roof, grey slates. Swept, shouldered wallhead replacement stacks to NE and SW, polygonal cans.
INTERIOR: modernised basement. Ground floor; 3 arches to SW wall in hallway, slightly setback doorpiece to drawing-room in left arch, open arch leading to stairwell to right, slightly setback doorpiece with scalloped astragals in fanlight to centre arch. Square drawing-room to E with original marble fireplace, decorative cornicing, panelled shutters to windows. Rectangular dinning room to S, pilastered buffet recess to NW wall, decorative cornicing, panelled shutters to windows. Stairwell set against window in 3rd bay to NW elevation. Coomed ceilings to 1st floor rooms.
IRON RAILINGS: original decorative railings to NW elevation with fleur-de-lys baluster heads.
NOTES: The land which Seaside Place and the surrounding area is built upon was acquired by the 11th Earl of Morton in 1725. It was laid out throughout the late 18th and 19th centuries, and is shown on maps of this date as 'New Town?. When built, the house would have been one of the most fashionable in the 'New Town? area. From its main principal rooms set to the rear it would have had uninterrupted panoramic views across the Forth to Edinburgh, however the larger and grander Seabank House (see separate listing) built in 1831 obscures part of the view. Seaside Place remained a fashionable place to live with further houses built opposite in the later 19th century.
Other nearby listed buildings