This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0226 / 56°1'21"N
Longitude: -3.2804 / 3°16'49"W
OS Eastings: 320291
OS Northings: 681811
OS Grid: NT202818
Mapcode National: GBR 25.SF10
Mapcode Global: WH6S5.LW4D
Entry Name: Oxcars Lighthouse, Firth of Forth
Listing Date: 24 March 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397280
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49687
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aberdour (Fife)
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
David and Thomas Stevenson, engineers, 1886. 4-stage circular-plan battered lighthouse tower surmounted by domed lantern. Brick with deep coursed, stugged sandstone base; both sections painted white with deep horizontal bands of black and red. Crenellated parapet corbelled out around cleaning path at apex of tower. 2 flights of fixed metal stepladders up to entrance to S; reinforced 2-leaf boarded timber outer (storm) door. 2 narrow windows (1 to N, 1 to S) to each of upper 2 floors of tower; 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Triangular-paned glazing to lantern; cast-iron murette at base; copper dome at apex. Mass concrete landing stage and pier (1894).
INTERIOR: storage area to lower floor. Living/sleeping areas on upper floors; living area below; twin bunkrooms above; each with pair of box or built-in bunk beds and fitted cupboards/drawers. Boarded timber panelling to both living/sleeping floors and inside murette at base of lantern. Circular cast-iron vents to murette; circular cast-iron post to centre supports glass reflective lens in lantern above. Plaque attached to post recording details of lens 'DIOPTRIC FIXED LIGHT APPARATUS designed by T & D Stevenson, Engineers. Barbiere & Finestre, Paris & Dove & Co Edinburgh, Manufacturers, 1885. Cast-iron grille walkway around lens. Timber floors, lower one reinforced with cast-iron beams at later date (?1894) and hole inserted for hoisting gas cylinders. Cast-iron stepladders between levels.
NOTES: An intact late 19th century lighthouse designed by members of the well known family of lighthouse engineers, the Stevensons, for the Northern Lighthouse Board. Situated between Inchcolm and Inchmickery for the safety of ships travelling up the Firth of Forth. Originally lit by an oil burner and attended by keepers, it became the first of the Scottish lighthouses to be automated when it was converted to gas in 1894. The concrete platform was erected on the rock for the 3 gas holders, which were fitted fortnightly from Granton works. Oxcars is still powered by gas (1999) and retains its original lens, together with almost all of its original fittings (probably because it was automated so early).
Other nearby listed buildings