History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

26 East Pier Street,post Office Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

A Category C Listed Building in Bo'Ness, Falkirk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0184 / 56°1'6"N

Longitude: -3.6068 / 3°36'24"W

OS Eastings: 299933

OS Northings: 681769

OS Grid: NS999817

Mapcode National: GBR 1R.SZLC

Mapcode Global: WH5QW.KZPM

Entry Name: 26 East Pier Street,post Office Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 31 March 2004

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397300

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49702

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Bo'Ness

County: Falkirk

Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness

Traditional County: West Lothian

Find accommodation in
Bo ľness

Description

James Thomson, dated 1911 and 1912. 2-storey, 7-bay, Baroque-detailed post office and office building on prominent corner site. Ashlar, some stugged and rock-faced rubble with channelled dividing pilasters at ground and ashlar dressings; harled to side and rear. Deep chamfered base course, ground and 1st floor cornices, deep frieze and eaves cornice. Lugged and architraved doors and 1st floor windows also with moulded aprons; large stepped keystones; stone mullions.

N (WAGGON ROAD) (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: slightly advanced pilastered and keystoned centre bay at ground incorporating keystoned, roundheaded bipartite window over fielded panel, 3 windows to flanking bays. 1st floor with dominant decoratively-pilastered centre bay rising into stepped balustrade with flanking stacks and incorporating bipartite window with apron dated 'AD MCMXI' and keystone with crown over 'GR' flanked by 'POST' 'OFFICE'; 2 closely-aligned windows to flanking bays.

NW (EAST PIER STREET) (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: window (converted from door?) to centre bay at ground floor with flanking full-height pilasters and flanking windows, all over painted/altered? panels; further windows to penultimate bays and timber doors to outer bays. Centre bay at 1st floor with cartouche bearing relief-carved galleon and panel in frieze dated 'MCMXII' giving way to semicircular stone pediment at eaves, broad canted windows to flanking bays and further single window to outer left.

NE (REGISTER STREET) ELEVATION: single bay elevation with door at ground and window above.

2-pane lower sashes with plate glass upper glazing pattern to most 1st floor windows, plate glass glazing elsewhere, all in timber sash and case windows. Piend roof with green/grey slates and decorative terracotta ridge tiles. Coped ashlar stacks with some cans; ashlar-coped skews; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

INTERIOR: stone staircases with decorative cast-iron balusters and dado rails; some panelled shutters.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: rock-faced boundary walls with ashlar quoins and square-section gatepiers.

Statement of Interest

Local architect James Thomson designed a number of successful combined tenement and shops in both South Street and North Street. The Post Office was formerly situated in South Street.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.