History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

8 and 10 Main Street,ye Olde Carriers Quarters

A Category C Listed Building in Bo'Ness, Falkirk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0174 / 56°1'2"N

Longitude: -3.6053 / 3°36'19"W

OS Eastings: 300023

OS Northings: 681659

OS Grid: NT000816

Mapcode National: GBR 1S.SS0N

Mapcode Global: WH5R2.L0DT

Entry Name: 8 and 10 Main Street,ye Olde Carriers Quarters

Listing Date: 31 March 2004

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397301

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49703

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Bo'Ness

County: Falkirk

Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness

Traditional County: West Lothian

Find accommodation in
Bo ľness

Description

James Thomson, dated 1905, possibly incorporating 1647 fabric. 2-storey, 3-bay (above ground) gabled public house with mock half-timbering, in irregular terrace to W. Painted ashlar and harl. Base course, deep ground floor frieze and cornice, and eaves course. Architraved windows to 1st floor N. Stone mullions.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: broad dividing pilasters with wall-shaft and thistle-carved corbel dividing recessed bays. Panelled timber door with multi-pane fanlight immediately right of centre, canted window with round-arched centre light in bay to right, and similar window with 2 centre lights in bay to left; painted sign in further bay (blocked door?) to outer left. Full-width frieze with traditional lettering giving way to cornice with cartouche-style stops, that to right with 'MCMV', that to left with '?KJ'. 1st floor with small carved stone (base for statue or sundial?) to outer left; centre bay with single window over carved stone dated '1647' and with 'RSY/I?', abutting jettied base (with arrowslit) of shouldered stack piercing gable above; flanking bays each with bipartite window and half-timbered gablehead. 2 small modern rooflights.

E ELEVATION: broad gabled elevation with single window high up at 1st floor.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: variety of elements to asymmetrically-fenestrated elevation including forestair to 1st floor timber porch and decoratively-astragalled barred window to right also at floor.

Fixed glazing with multi-pane top lights to ground and uPVC glazing to 1st floor N, 12-pane glazing pattern in modern timber sash and case window at E. Grey slates. Cavetto-coped harled stack to N and truncated gablehead stack to E, both with cans. Ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts; mutuled bargeboarding and spike finials; cast-iron downpipe with decorative rainwater hopper.

INTERIOR: largely non-traditional later 20th century decorative scheme but retaining some timber panelling at ground, and moulded cornices at 1st floor.

Statement of Interest

Local architect James Thomson designed a number of shop and tenement blocks in South Street, as well as the fine Post Office at East Pier Street. Established in 1647, the 'Carriers' was a posting inn with stables (much altered and converted to a store) at the rear. Tradition says that the licensee was obliged to provide hay and water at no extra charge for all lodger's horses. During refurbishment circa 1995, a journal (or sweetheart's book) was discovered hidden in the rafters.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.