History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

23 - 29 (Odd Nos) South Street, Anderson Building

A Category C Listed Building in Bo'Ness, Falkirk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0173 / 56°1'2"N

Longitude: -3.6081 / 3°36'29"W

OS Eastings: 299852

OS Northings: 681656

OS Grid: NS998816

Mapcode National: GBR 1R.SZ8F

Mapcode Global: WH5R2.K02W

Entry Name: 23 - 29 (Odd Nos) South Street, Anderson Building

Listing Date: 31 March 2004

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397313

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49712

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Bo'Ness

County: Falkirk

Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness

Traditional County: West Lothian

Find accommodation in
Bo ľness

Description

James Thomson, dated 1902. 3-storey, 3-bay, classically-detailed small tenement with shops at ground, in regular terrace. Ashlar with raised quoins. Ground floor entablature, deep eaves lintel course, cornice and blocking course. Channelled pilasters and fluted capitals; lugged architraves to 1st and 2nd floor openings, with bracketted cills, pulvinated friezes and cornices to 1st floor, fielded aprons and lugs to 2nd floor outer bays. Stone mullions.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: deep-set 6-panelled timber door with large plate glass fanlight off-centre right at ground, shop to right with in-canted door to left and fixed display window to right, and traditional centre door shop with mosaic-tiled doorstep to left; each floor above with single window to centre and bipartite windows to flanking bays, relief carved panel worded 'ANDERSON BUILDING' between floors at centre and decorative consoles flanking windowhead to centre at 2nd floor giving way to shouldered wallhead stack with panel dated '1902'.

Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks, that to S corniced, with cans and ashlar-coped skews. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hopper to SE.

INTERIOR: shop at No 23 with deeply moulded cornices, boarded walls and some traditional shelving on decorative cast-iron brackets.

Statement of Interest

Group with Nos 19-21 and 31-33 South Street. One of a number of 'Anderson Bequest' buildings in the town funded by the legacy of ship owner and banker John Anderson (1794 - 1870). Known locally as 'the King of Bo'ness', he also funded the town's first secondary school. This example of the work of prolific local architect James Thomson is similar in design to Nos 47 and 49, though plainer and more stripped in form.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.