This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0171 / 56°1'1"N
Longitude: -3.6089 / 3°36'31"W
OS Eastings: 299801
OS Northings: 681627
OS Grid: NS998816
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.SZ22
Mapcode Global: WH5R2.J1P2
Entry Name: 24 - 32 (Even Nos) South Street
Listing Date: 31 March 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397318
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49718
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness
Traditional County: West Lothian
John Taylor, dated 1934. Single storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan terrace of small shops closing irregular terrace to W. Ashlar dividing piers and dressings; lined render. Frieze/fascia and eaves cornice rising into stepped and pedimented blocking course at centre.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Centre bay with in-canted 2-leaf part-glazed timber door, 3-part fanlight and tiled doorstep flanked by fixed display windows with multi-pane top-lights and surmounted by painted fascia and flanking stylised capitals giving way to blocking course with relief carved panel worded 'ANDERSON BEQUEST' surmounted by semicircular pediment with small carved panel. Shop in penultimate bay to left with in-canted part-glazed timber door and 2-part fanlight to right and fixed display window with multi-pane top-lights to left, this mirrored by shop to outer left; bays to right mirror those to left.
E ELEVATION: blank gabled elevation, rendered and lined.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: asymmetrically-fenestrated elevation.
Fixed display windows. Graded grey slates. Harled stacks with cans to rear.
INTERIOR: No 28 retains timber panelling and etched glass to display window access.
Unusual retention of original shopfronts combined with some interior detail raise this short terrace of shops above the margin for listing. One of a number of 'Anderson Bequest' buildings in the town funded by the legacy of ship owner and banker John Anderson (1794 - 1870). In 1859 the Duke and Duchess of Hamilton were entertained aboard one of Anderson's Greenland whalers berthed in the harbour. Known locally as 'the King of Boness', he also funded the town's first secondary school.
Other nearby listed buildings