This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9546 / 55°57'16"N
Longitude: -3.177 / 3°10'37"W
OS Eastings: 326602
OS Northings: 674137
OS Grid: NT266741
Mapcode National: GBR 8RD.YX
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.5LDG
Entry Name: 11 Regent Terrace, Including Railings and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 16 December 1965
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397395
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49774
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
William Playfair, designed 1825, built 1826-1833. Part of long terrace of 34 classical 3-bay townhouses; originally 2-storey, attic and basement elevations (many have additional later 3rd storeys) punctuated by 2 18-bay, 3-storey pavilions with 3-bay advanced sections to each end (Nos 11-16 and 23-28) and with 12-bay, 3-storey section to the western end (Nos 1-4); terrace stepped down at intervals to follow slope of road. Droved painted ashlar to basement; polished ashlar to upper floors; predominantly coursed squared rubble with dressed margins to rear elevation. To principal elevation: base course; dividing band between basement and ground floor; dividing band and cornice between ground and 1st floors; to 1st floor, continuous cast-iron trellis balcony with Greek key border; 2nd floor cill course; eaves cornice; blocking course. Doorpiece of fluted attached Greek Doric columns. Regular fenestration to principal elevation; architraved windows to ground and 1st floors; panelled aprons to ground floor windows; predominantly regular fenestration to rear elevation.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced 3-storey and basement elevation. To basement, to centre, timber panelled door with 3-light fanlight in segmentally-headed opening; window to left bay; to right, area beneath platt blocked by wall with 2 windows. To ground floor, to right bay, steps and platt overarching basement recess leading to 2-leaf timber-panelled and stained-glass glazed door with letterbox fanlight.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay elevation with small harled monopitch-roofed 2-storey extension between left and centre bays. Eaves course.
GLAZING etc: predominantly plate glass; 4-pane glazing to ground floor to front elevation; glazing predominantly in timber sash and case windows. M-roof with central valley; graded grey slate; stone skews and skewputts. To E and W, corniced mutual ridge stacks, preceded to front by individual octagonal flues; to rear wing, wallhead stack; predominantly circular cans.
RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: to front, edging basement recess and platt, stone coping surmounted by cast-iron railings with dog bars, spear-head finials and distinctive circled border. To rear, forming boundary of garden, random rubble walls with predominantly flat coping.
INTERIOR: subdivided into flats. To ground floor: to lobby, encaustic tiled floor, round-headed niche to left, compartmented ceiling, good plasterwork, pilastered timber screen with part glazed door to centre flanked by margin light with etched glass. To 1st floor: L-shaped former drawing room, pilastered and corniced doorpieces, grey marble classical chimneypiece, good plasterwork and timberwork including ornamental dado rail, borders to walls, and architraved windows, compartmented ceiling. Stone cantilevered stairs with ornate cast-iron balusters and wrought-iron lantern brackets, rectangular cupola, excellent plasterwork including cornices to ceiling and landings, classical frieze below cupola, numerous plaster bas-reliefs depicting classical subjects.
Part of the Calton A-Group.
Currently subdivided as flats.
Although the ground floor interiors may have undergone alteration, a significant proportion of the original features of 10 Regent Terrace, such as plasterwork and chimneypieces, may remain and this should be kept in mind when considering changes to the internal fabric.
Regent Terrace forms part of the showpiece of Playfair's Eastern New Town (or Calton) scheme, and as such is an important example of the work of one of Scotland's leading early 19th century architects. Playfair was one of the major driving forces of the Greek Revival in Edinburgh at this time, and his public commissions such as the National Monument, the Royal Institution and the National Gallery (see separate listings) gave strength to Edinburgh's reputation as the Athens of the North. The Calton Scheme was one of his few domestic commissions, and the variety of designs, different for each street, demonstrates Playfair's expertise with the Grecian style and his characteristic punctilious attention to detail. The railings and balconies are important as their design features distinctive elements which Playfair repeated in large areas of the Calton scheme.
In 1957, 11 Regent Terrace was bought by the Danish Consul, Eric Schake (who at that time lived at 22 Regent Terrace). He converted it to three flats, presenting them to Edinburgh Corporation to be used as grace and favour residences for worthy citizens; however, the house appears never to have been used for that purpose.
The origins of the Eastern New Town, which was to occupy the east end of Calton Hill and lands to the north of it on the ground between Easter Road and Leith Walk, lie in a 'joint plan for building' which three principal feuars (Heriot's Hospital, Trinity Hospital and Mr Allan of Hillside) entered into in 1811. In 1812 a competition was advertised for plans for laying out the grounds in question. Thirty-two plans were received, displayed and reported on by a variety of people, including eight architects. Eventually, it was decided that none of the plans was suitable. However, it was a more general report by William Stark (who died shortly after submitting it) which caught the attention of the Commissioners and formed the basis of the final scheme. Stark's central argument stressed the importance of planning around the natural contours and features of the land rather than imposing formal, symmetrical street plans upon it. After several years of little or no progress, in 1818 the Commissioners finally selected William Henry Playfair, Stark's former pupil, to plan a scheme following his master's Picturesque ideals.
The resulting scheme, presented to the Commissioners in 1819, preserved the view of and from Calton Hill by the creation of a limited triangular development of the three single-sided terraces (to make the most of the spectacular views), Royal, Regent and Carlton, on the hill itself. These looked over a huge radial street pattern, centred on the gardens of Hillside Crescent, on the land to the north. The feuing of these lower lands started well, with Elm Row, Leopold Place, Windsor Street and the west side of Hillside Crescent being built fairly swiftly. Regent Terrace was feued in 1824 and building began the next year. In 1831, nearly all the houses were complete, and by 1833, all were inhabited except No 14. However, demand for the feus in other street of the scheme faltered severely, due to the growing popularity of new properties being built to the west of the New Town. This had a particularly bad effect on Royal Terrace, where construction stopped for 20 years, leaving 2 large gaps in the Terrace and a further 3 unbuilt feus to the west end. The fate of the whole Calton scheme was sealed in 1838, when it was decided that feuars should pay poor-rates to both Edinburgh and Leith. This virtually halted development for the next thirty years. The result of all these problems was that very little of Playfair's original scheme was ever built. When building resumed in the 1880s, some of Playfair's original street lines were adhered to, as was the case with Hillside Crescent, and in others such as Brunton Place, Brunswick Street, Hillside Street (originally to be a longer street called Hopeton Street), and Wellington Street (also curtailed). However, due to piecemeal residential, industrial and transport developments immediately to the north, it would have been impossible to further follow Playfair's original layout, even if this had been considered desirable.
Other nearby listed buildings