This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.863 / 55°51'46"N
Longitude: -4.3177 / 4°19'3"W
OS Eastings: 255047
OS Northings: 665736
OS Grid: NS550657
Mapcode National: GBR 05L.T1
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.NW5R
Entry Name: 36-40 Golspie Street & 16 Garmouth Street, Salvation Army Citadel
Listing Date: 26 April 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397411
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49789
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Govan
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John Hamilton, dated 1903, Junior Hall sympathetically enlarged 1906. Single-storey and gallery, 7-bay rectangular-plan with free Renaissance details Salvation Army Citadel. Squared and snecked bull-faced red sandstone with ashlar dressings to E & S, red brick, red painted harl to N where other properties formerly adjoined. Some mullioned and transomed windows, pedimented entrance doorways, some with stylised keystone detail, short square tower, inscribed ashlar panels to E.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: to left, 3-bay gable (containing 'Large Hall') with central slightly advanced principal entrance with open pediment containing Salvation Army Crest with 'BLOOD AND FIRE' motto. Above, lettering 'THE SALVATION ARMY.1903.' surmounted by pair of 4-light mullioned and transomed windows. To right, one bay short square tower with central pedimented doorway with elongated keystone. To far right, 3-bay (containing 'Junior Hall') slightly recessed section with slightly advanced gable to outer bay with pedimented doorway with elongated keystone.
S ELEVATION: dominated by triple 4-light mullioned and transomed windows.
W ELEVATION: masked by modern shallow two-storey red brick extension.
N ELEVATION: nearly blank, red painted harl.
Replacement glazing, modern roof tiles, metal shuttered doors.
INTERIOR: not seen 2004.
NOTES: Ecclesiastical building in use as such. One of the more impressive of Hamilton's Salvation Army commissions in Glasgow, this building is indicative of the missions established by the Salvation Army in socially-excluded urban areas. It is noteworthy for its contribution to Glasgow's social history.
Founded by William Booth in the East End of London in 1878 with the intention of reaching the poorest in society, the Salvation Army (formerly 'The Christian Mission' - leading a war on sin) now carries out work in 109 countries and is one of the largest providers of social welfare in the world.
The plans drawn by Hamilton in 1902 differ slightly from the constructed building - the tower was to be placed to the far left of the Citadel. The originally single storey 'Junior Hall' to the right was presumably enlarged during the work carried out in 1906 and noted on a panel on the E elevation, '... THE EXTENSION OF THE YOUNG PEOPLE'S HALL AND THE REOPENING OF THE SAME 15TH DECEMBER 1906'. Hamilton's plans show an impressive galleried interior to the 'Large Hall'.
A bequest by James Orr of Glasgow and Harviestoun Castle assisted in the erection of the Citadel.
Once part of a dense area of tenements and directly adjacent to a United Free Church and Hall, the area around the Citadel has changed dramatically within the last 50 years.
Other nearby listed buildings