History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

24 Royal Terrace Including Railings and Boundary Walls

A Category A Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9567 / 55°57'24"N

Longitude: -3.1778 / 3°10'39"W

OS Eastings: 326561

OS Northings: 674365

OS Grid: NT265743

Mapcode National: GBR 8RD.T5

Mapcode Global: WH6SM.5J1W

Entry Name: 24 Royal Terrace Including Railings and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 16 December 1965

Last Amended: 14 December 1970

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397442

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49815

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Leith

Description

William Playfair, designed 1820-4. No 24 built between 1823- early 1830s. Part of extremely long 121-bay palace front terrace of townhouses with arched and rusticated ground floor; to centre, 3-storey section punctuated by three 3-storey and attic Corinthian colonnaded pavillions; to left and right flanking 3-storey balustraded sections leading to 3-storey sections with 3-storey and attic Ionic colonnaded pavilions; 2-storey balustraded sections to outer left and right; basements to all houses. Painted droved ashlar to basement; V-chamfered rustication to ground floor; polished ashlar to upper floors; predominantly coursed squared rubble with dressed margins to rear elevation. To principal elevation: base course; dividing band between basement and ground floor; impost course to ground floor; dividing band between ground and 1st floors; to 1st floor, narrow band course broken by window to each bay; band courses above 2nd floor; eaves cornice; balustraded parapet. Regular fenestration to principal elevation; predominantly regular fenestration to rear elevation; to ground floor, round-headed openings in round-headed overarches.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-bay, 3-storey and basement elevation. To basement, window in segmentally-headed opening to right bay; to centre bay, timber-panelled door with 3-light segmental fanlight; to left, wall with window blocking in area under platt.. To ground floor, to left bay, steps and platt (mutual with that of No 25) overarching basement recess leading to timber-panelled door with flanking margin lights and segmental fanlight. To 1st floor, cast-iron balconnettes to windows. To roof, clasped between stacks, 2 canted dormer windows.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay, 3-storey, and basement elevation with later attic storey clasped between stacks. Band course dividing ground and 1st floors; eaves cornice; blocking course. To ground floor, small modern flat-roofed extension to left bay; modern metal fire escape from attic to ground floor.

GLAZING etc: predominantly plate glass; predominantly 4-pane glazing to rear elevation; 12-pane glazing to basement to front elevation; glazing predominantly in timber sash and case windows.flat lead roof; stone skews and skewputts. Corniced stacks with circular cans to left and right,

RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: to front, edging basement recess and platt, stone coping surmounted by cast-iron railings with dog bars, spear-head finials and distinctive circled border. To rear, forming boundary of garden, random rubble walls with predominantly flat coping.

INTERIOR: to ground floor: entrance lobby with niche to left, compartmented ceiling, good plasterwork, pilastered and corniced doorpieces; to former dining room, corniced doorpieces, painted timber panelling to lower walls, grey marble chimneypiece, good plasterwork including borders forming panels to walls; to rear room (W), apsidal-ended, painted timber panelling to lower walls, good plasterwork. To 1st floor: to former drawing room and smaller front room, good ornate plasterwork including frieze; to rear room (W), plasterwork as to front rooms, classical grey marble chimneypiece, corniced doorpiece. To stairs and landings: above stairs, rectangular cupola in deep pilastered well with excellent plasterwork including frieze; cast-iron balusters to stairs, architraves panels to walls and good plasterwork to stairs and landings.

Statement of Interest

Part of the Calton A-Group.

Currently (2003) in use as the Ailsa Craig Hotel.

The doorway direct from the lobby to the front room is likely to be a later alteration, the press having been knocked through to form a door.

Royal Terrace forms part of the showpiece of Playfair's Eastern New Town (or Calton) scheme, and as such is an important example of the work of one of Scotland's leading early 19th century architects. Playfair was one of the major driving forces of the Greek Revival in Edinburgh at this time, and his public commissions such as the National Monument, the Royal Institution and the National Gallery (see separate listings) gave strength to Edinburgh's reputation of the Athens of the North. The Calton Scheme was one of his few domestic commissions, and the variety of designs, different for each street, demonstrates Playfair's expertise with the Grecian style and his characteristic punctilious attention to detail. The railings are important as their design features distinctive elements which Playfair repeated in large areas of the Calton scheme. The massive scale of Royal Terrace, in conjunction with Playfair's characteristic attention to detail (for instance the decision to site houses on one side of the Terrace only, in order to capitalise on the spectacular views), make this one of his most impressive schemes. When designing Royal Terrace, Playfair also rejected the conventional palace front with its distinctive central pavilion; he instead chose a more subtle distribution of pavilions, creating a discreet accumulation of emphasis towards the centre of the terrace through the use of attic storeys and Ionic and Corinthian Orders.

The origins of the Eastern New Town, which was to occupy the east end of Calton Hill and lands to the north of it on the ground between Easter Road and Leith Walk, lie in a 'joint plan for building' which three principal feuars (Heriot's Hospital, Trinity Hospital and Mr Allan of Hillside) entered into in 1811. In 1812 a competition was advertised for plans for laying out the grounds in question. Thirty-two plans were received, displayed and reported on by a variety of people, including eight architects. Eventually, it was decided that none of the plans was suitable. However, it was a more general report by William Stark (who died shortly after submitting it) which caught the attention of the Commissioners and formed the basis of the final scheme. Stark's central argument stressed the importance of planning around the natural contours and features of the land rather than imposing formal, symmetrical street plans upon it. After several years of little or no progress, in 1818 the Commissioners finally selected William Henry Playfair, Stark's former pupil, to plan a scheme following his master's Picturesque ideals.

The resulting scheme, presented to the Commissioners in 1819, preserved the view of and from Calton Hill by the creation of a limited triangular development of three single-sided terraces on the hill itself. These looked over a huge radial street pattern, centred on the gardens of Hillside Crescent, on the land to the north. The feuing of these lower lands started well, with Elm Row, Leopold Place, Windsor Street and the west side of Hillside Crescent being built fairly swiftly. However, demand for the feus faltered severely, due to the growing popularity of new properties being built to the west of the New Town. This had a particularly bad effect on Royal Terrace, where construction stopped for 20 years, leaving 2 large gaps in the Terrace and a further 3 unbuilt feus to the west end. The fate of the whole Calton scheme was sealed in 1838, when it was decided that feuars should pay poor-rates to both Edinburgh and Leith. This virtually halted development for the next thirty years. The result of all these problems was that very little of Playfair's original scheme was ever built. When building resumed in the 1880s, some of Playfair's original street lines were adhered to, as was the case with Hillside Crescent, and in others such as Brunton Place, Brunswick Street, Hillside Street (originally to be a longer street called Hopeton Street), and Wellington Street (also curtailed). However, due to piecemeal residential, industrial and transport developments immediately to the north, it would have been impossible to further follow Playfair's original layout, even if this had been considered desirable.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.