History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

124 Main Street, Burgh Chambers

A Category C Listed Building in Barrhead, East Renfrewshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8 / 55°48'0"N

Longitude: -4.3909 / 4°23'27"W

OS Eastings: 250226

OS Northings: 658892

OS Grid: NS502588

Mapcode National: GBR 3L.7QXP

Mapcode Global: WH3PD.JGBZ

Entry Name: 124 Main Street, Burgh Chambers

Listing Date: 27 April 2004

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397460

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49833

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Barrhead

County: East Renfrewshire

Electoral Ward: Barrhead, Liboside and Uplawmoor

Traditional County: Renfrewshire

Find accommodation in
Barrhead

Description

McWhannell and Rogerson, 1902. Free Scots Renaissance 2-storey 2-bay crowstep-gabled burgh building. Fluted pilastered entrance to centre with Barrhead coat of arms above; timber 2-leaf door with iron studs, decorative locks and hinges; flanking bipartite windows. Large pilastered key-blocked round-arched window to 1st floor R with datestone '1902' above; mullioned and transomed bipartite window to L with strapwork above. Coursed, bull-faced red sandstone with polished ashlar dressings.

Timber sash and case windows (some leaded upper sashes). Grey slate roofs with terracotta ridge tiles; tall stacks and clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen (2004).

Statement of Interest

B-Group with Burgh Court Hall (separately listed). Barrhead was created a police burgh in 1894. The eclectic and exuberant style of the Burgh Chambers and Court in distinctive red sandstone set the buildings apart from the other traditional buildings that survive in Main Street. Built as a pair with a lane between for access to the rear, the two buildings are linked by wrought-iron gates with thistle and lion rampant motifs.

Ninian McWhannell and John Rogerson designed schools, police buildings, and the Royal Samaritan Hospital for Women in Glasgow, sometimes with Arts and Crafts or Art Nouveau flourishes. The partnership also built the Masonic Temple in Barrhead of 1910 (separately listed).

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.