This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1133 / 56°6'48"N
Longitude: -3.7964 / 3°47'47"W
OS Eastings: 288392
OS Northings: 692630
OS Grid: NS883926
Mapcode National: GBR 1J.LYXQ
Mapcode Global: WH5QD.NLDS
Entry Name: Former St Mungo's Parish Hall, 10 Bedford Place, (1-8) St Mungo's Wynd Including Boundary Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 7 May 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397489
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49851
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Clackmannanshire South
Traditional County: Clackmannanshire
William Kerr and John Gray of John Melvin and son, 1926. 2-storey 7-bay rectangular-plan former parish hall (now residential). Harled with ashlar sandstone doorway, window surrounds and margins. Prominent slated ventilator spire. Squared snecked rubble base course. Large modern extension to rear.
N ELEVATION: 2-leaf timber-panelled door in slightly advanced ashlar sandstone central doorway; channeled quoins and carved burning bush motif above door.
Shouldered moulded architrave. Bracketed stone balcony with diamond-pattern railings to full-length window on first floor. Date stone at eaves (1926).
E and W ELEVATIONS: 2 bays to main block; one upper window blocked up. Rear extension 2-bays deep with modern open stairs to first floor entrance
S ELEVATION: Symmetrical fenestration, but varying in size. Central door with round-arched fanlight. Full-length window above.
24-pane wide-astragalled sash and case windows to ground floor; 16-pane to first floor. Some modern glazing to side elevations. Swept piended slate roof with overhanging eaves and exposed rafters.
Low stone boundary walls with undecorated cast iron railings; square-plan gate piers with obelisk capstones.
St. Mungo's Parish Hall is a good example of the quality of work by this well-known provincial practice and is an important part of the streetscape at Bedford Place. Although the building has recently been converted and extended for residential use, this has not had a significant detrimental effect on the building's character and the front elevation is intact, including the fine doorpiece. It has been suggested (Swan, 1992) that this may be part of a series of buildings designed by John Gray in Kerr's office.
Conversion to housing and extension by MBM architects, 1997.
Other nearby listed buildings