This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8582 / 55°51'29"N
Longitude: -4.044 / 4°2'38"W
OS Eastings: 272159
OS Northings: 664669
OS Grid: NS721646
Mapcode National: GBR 006P.9V
Mapcode Global: WH4QH.V0GV
Plus Code: 9C7QVX54+7C
Entry Name: Bank Street and Blair Road, Langloan Primary School with Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 11 June 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397502
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49862
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Coatbridge North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
James Davidson and son, 1914. Substantial 2-storey 5-bay U-plan school building with Renaissance detailing. Broached red sandstone ashlar with polished ashlar dressings. Rusticated battered base course, string course between floors, intermittent sill course, cornice. Prominent shouldered gables with windows in aedicules and gablehead finials. Panelled dies with urn finials to corners.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 4 large square-headed vertical windows to bays 1, 3 and 5; 3 windows to bays 2 and 4. Outer bays advanced slightly. Outer bays: gabled with stout bracketed and fluted applied finials. Upper floor windows in bracketed aedicules with Corinthian pilasters and segmental-headed arches. Central bay: upper floor jettied out on corbels with panelled apron and small open pediment on short blocking course above.
E ELEVATION: advanced 2-bay central section; coupled windows varying in size. Entrances to returns at right and left. Gable to left as to those to S. String course above first floor with arch over shallow niche. Blocking course and narrow gablet to central bays. To right, small semicircular finialled pediment. Modern brick and steel ramp to entrance. N ELEVATION: squared snecked rubble to outer bays; otherwise rendered. Single-storey flat-roofed modern extension between outer bays. Irregular openings; single door to right.
W ELEVATION: as E, with single-storey flat-roofed extension to left and full height metal duct to centre.
Panelled timber doors. Modern aluminium glazing. Large rooflights to pitches. Pitched grey slate roof, piended to rear. Cast iron rainwater goods with decorative fixings.
INTERIOR: Large central double-height hall with cast iron balustrade to gallery. Steel rod truss roof and modern ceiling covering. Segmental-headed openings to stairs with stepped-glazed windows from hall to classrooms. Square-headed windows on ground floor. Decorative arched vents with cast iron tracery to upper walls. Walls boarded to dado height; tiled dado to stairs. Panelled doors; etched glazing to upper panels; timber architraves and plain corniced overdoors.
BOUNDARY: squared sandstone rubble boundary walls with chamfered coping. Cast iron railings with occasional wrought iron decorative sections. Square-plan stop-chamfered piers with cornice and square urns to capstones.
OUTBUILDINGS: Piended roof bicycle shed to N corner with cast iron columns.
Langloan Primary school was built in 1914 for the children of Langloan Rows whose parents worked at Langloan Iron and Chemical Works or the Drumpellier colliery. This unusually large school is an imposing building in a prominent position on Bank St. and, despite replacement glazing and minor extensions, remains in good original condition, surrounded by all of the original gates and railings. The interior of the school is of particular interest due to the survival of many original features.
James Davidson was a successful Coatbridge architect who designed a number of schools for the Old Monklands School Board between 1892 and 1914 including Bargeddie Primary School, 1894; Greenhill Primary School, 1902; Gartsherrie Primary School, 1906 (see separate listings). Other buildings by Davidson in Coatbridge include Airdrie Savings Bank, 1920; Ross Street Hall, Glenboig Union Fireclay Company and Broomknoll Parish Church. Davidson's most prestigious commission was for The King's Theatre in Edinburgh, 1905-6, which he designed with J D Swanson.
Although much larger, Langloan school has many external features in common with Gartsherrie Road School.
Other nearby listed buildings