This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.2412 / 57°14'28"N
Longitude: -2.3513 / 2°21'4"W
OS Eastings: 378898
OS Northings: 816779
OS Grid: NJ788167
Mapcode National: GBR XB.6G95
Mapcode Global: WH8P2.V8J4
Entry Name: North Street, Bridgend Including Steading, Ancillary Building, Summer House and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 11 June 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397509
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49868
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: East Garioch
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Early 19th century in origin with later 19th century re-working (see Notes). Tall single storey and attic, 3-bay, L-plan former Bridgealehouse, with stone-pedimented windowheads. Harl with granite ashlar dressings to E and N dormer windows.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Ground floor with panelled timber door to centre porch, canted windows to flanking bays giving way to bolection-finialled, stone-pedimented dormer windows breaking eaves above.
N ELEVATION: gabled bay to left with 2 windows at ground and blocked small centre window above; bay to right with further single window and dormer window as above.
S ELEVATION: recessed bay to left of centre with part-glazed timber door and 3-pane fanlight, small window to left and advanced blank gabled bay to right with low lean-to timber addition in re-entrant angle to left.
W ELEVATION: blank gabled elevation.
4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped squared rubble and harled stacks with thackstanes and some cans. Ashlar-coped skews
INTERIOR: decorative plasterwork cornices; timber staircase; fireplace to ground floor lounge with cast-iron grate and tiled slips depicting pheasants in green and cream colours.
STEADING: gabled, H-plan (E end infilled with later M-gabled range) steading, comprising slated rubble with some Aberdeen bond stonework, ashlar-coped skews and boarded timber doors.
ANCILLARY BUILDING AND SUMMER HOUSE: slated rubble, mono-pitch ancillary with boarded timber door to W of house, and rectangular-plan circa 1900 timber summer house with canted cornere windows to E.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coursed rubble boundary walls, some flat coped and some rubble coped.
The Aberdeen to Inverurie Canal was opened in 1807, it closed in 1852 after being sold to the Great North of Scotland Railway Company. Bridgealehouse operated as an ale house beside the canal and later for the nearby Kintore railway station (Aberdeen to Huntly line) which opened in 1854. The house was probably also a posting station on the Great Northern Road, with three stage-coaches passing through Kintore twice daily, this would certainly have called for the ample stabling provided by this good-sized steading. The name 'Bridgealehouse' had been altered to 'Bridgend' some time before the Third Statistical Account, but lives on in the nearby 'Bridgealehouse Burn'.
Scheduled Ancient Monument No 7676, a roughly segmental-headed canal milestone with deeply incised '15' (indicating the distance to Aberdeen) is sited within the garden of 'Bridgend' close to the Northern Road gate. Another milestone is situated at Canal Cottage and the remains of the canal itself are visible to the NW of Brae of Kintore (both Scheduled Ancient Monuments).
Other nearby listed buildings