This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8626 / 55°51'45"N
Longitude: -4.0313 / 4°1'52"W
OS Eastings: 272965
OS Northings: 665132
OS Grid: NS729651
Mapcode National: GBR 009N.08
Mapcode Global: WH4QB.1XL1
Entry Name: West Canal Street and Heritage Way, Former Caledonian Railway Station, with Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 11 June 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397515
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49871
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Coatbridge North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Probably George Graham, 1899. 2-storey (single-storey to platform level), 3-bay freestyle former railway station building (now a restaurant). Red brick with sandstone ashlar long and short quoins and dressings. Ashlar base course, string course to right at impost level on ground floor, bracketed overhanging eaves. Prominent gables with decorative semicircular broken pediments and stone skews; finials to gableheads. Mullioned windows.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: gabled outer bays, that to left slightly advanced. Banded architrave to round-arched doorway at centre. Round-arched window to right at ground floor. lower left. Mullioned bipartite and tripartite windows to upper floor with applied broken scrolled pediment over to outer bays. Decorative plaque resting on ground-level string course.
NE ELEVATION: 2-bay; gabled right bay advanced. Single-storey extension to outer right. 4-step flight to bracketed pediment in projecting bay. Bipartite window above and ground-level single door to right. Large transomed and mullioned tripartite window at ground level of left bay with cornice over. Single and double window to upper floor. Pedimented bipartite window breaking eaves of single-storey projection.
NW ELEVATION: irregular fenestration. Gabled central bay.
Modern timber doors and windows; 4-pane upper, plate glass lower glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate gabled roof with ashlar skews and skewputts. Gablehead, wallhead and ridge stacks; clay cans. Cast iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: much altered for present use.
Low coped stugged rubble boundary walls. Decorative iron railings. Square plan gatepiers with pyramidal capstones
Coatbridge Central Station is an excellent example of a late 19th century station house which, despite replacement glazing retains its original character with fine external details. Few of the earlier railway buildings survive in Coatbridge and this building is in a particularly prominent position, close to the hub of Coatbridge.
The Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Line (Caledonian Railways) was opened in 1844.
The line from Rutherglen to Coatbridge was opened first to freight in 1865 and then to passengers in 1866. Initially, Summerlee House was used as a station but by the 1860s it had been taken down and replaced with goods sheds. In 1857 the Caledonian Railway Company built a new station house. The construction of a complete new station began in 1896 and in 1899 permission was granted for the construction of the new station master's house at a cost of £2500. George Graham was at the time engineer to the Caledonian Railway Company and may have been responsible for the Station house. Hume (1974) refers to an awning over both the entrance and the platform, which was accessed from the upper floor. Neither survives, presumably removed when the building was converted for use as a pub.
Other nearby listed buildings