History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Railway and Foot Bridge over Former Monkland Canal (West Bridge) Including Access Stair Building

A Category B Listed Building in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8619 / 55°51'42"N

Longitude: -4.0316 / 4°1'53"W

OS Eastings: 272948

OS Northings: 665061

OS Grid: NS729650

Mapcode National: GBR 008N.ZH

Mapcode Global: WH4QB.1XHJ

Entry Name: Railway and Foot Bridge over Former Monkland Canal (West Bridge) Including Access Stair Building

Listing Date: 11 June 2004

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397517

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49873

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Coatbridge

County: North Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Coatbridge South

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Coatbridge

Description

Caledonian Railway Company and Brandon Bridge Company, Motherwell, 1898. Cast-iron, mild steel and masonry railway bridge. Parallel plate girders; doubled in depth over canal. Lattice steel parapet (C-section members). Rusticated red sandstone ashlar and droved ashlar piers with polished ashlar cutwaters. Rusticated ashlar terminals with cornice and pyramidal capstones.

FOOTBRIDGE through W side of piers; round-arched openings through piers, lattice steel sides and steel overhead arch ties.

ACCESS STAIR BUILDING TO N: Red brick with piended slate roof, segmental-arched windows, glazed brick band course at eaves. Blocked doors to platform and lower level.

Statement of Interest

Along with other railway bridge adjacent to Main Street (see separate listing), this bridge forms a gateway to the town centre and is one of the defining elements of the urban and industrial landscape of Coatbridge. Railways were particularly important to the coal and iron industries around Coatbridge, which came to be known as 'The Crewe of the North.'

The footbridge is an interesting and attractive part of the composition. The bridge was completed on the 2nd of November 1898 and replaced a narrower bridge erected circa 1842. The work also involved the removal of the piers, which had interfered with traffic on Bank St. This bridge served the Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge railway line south to Wishaw. The Glasgow to Garnkirk Railway was opened in 1831 and extended East to Gartsherrie and South to Whifflet from 1844.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.