History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

James Street, Pittenweem Primary School Including Ancillary Structures, Gate Piers and Boundary Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Pittenweem, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.2149 / 56°12'53"N

Longitude: -2.7305 / 2°43'49"W

OS Eastings: 354790

OS Northings: 702721

OS Grid: NO547027

Mapcode National: GBR 2T.DJHK

Mapcode Global: WH7ST.111X

Entry Name: James Street, Pittenweem Primary School Including Ancillary Structures, Gate Piers and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 1 July 2004

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397566

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49885

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Pittenweem

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: East Neuk and Landward

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Pittenweem

Description

Andrew Haxton, 1913. Single storey T-plan school with lower single storey flat-roofed projection to S. Harled, base course, some stone mullioned and transomed windows, gable-headed windows breaking eaves, some segmental.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Central 3-bay section with central tripartite window breaking eaves enclosing carved panel, 'PITTENWEEM PUBLIC SCHOOL ERECTED 1913' flanked by segmental-gabled single light windows with long stylised keystones. Flat-roofed front projection (now painted cream): inner 2-bay section with tripartite window flanked by 3-light canted bay windows. At outer bays, slightly recessed 1-bay section with oculus flanked by recessed single bay piended sections with gabled bipartites with re-entrant angle containing entrance doors.

W ELEVATION: central 2-bay section with gabled windows breaking eaves, to right very advanced single bay piended section with off-centre gabled window. To left, advanced single bay piended section with central gabled window.

E ELEVATION: mirror image of W elevation.

N ELEVATION: slightly advanced entrance with stylised keystone above flanked by segmental-headed single light windows. Door to far right with 4 steps set at right-angles.

Predominantly timber sash and case windows with horns, 8-pane over 2-pane. Hopper windows to upper parts of transoms. 2-leaf timber doors to W, E and N with margined glass panels above. Those to W and E with top-curved fanlight above. Graded grey slates. Corniced ridge stack to N of W elevation.

INTERIOR: very good complete interior with few alterations. Large assembly hall with decorative pierced roof vents. Timber boarding to dado. Doorcase to N contains memorial to First and Second World Wars. Predominantly timber 3-panel doors with margined glass panels above with original handles. Classrooms mostly as built. Room to NW contains black range with white tiles set into white tiled area. To left, fitted timber bookcases with margined glass panels above.

GATE PIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: predominantly brick with flat coping to W, N and E. Simple square brick gate piers to W. To S, very low outer wall surmounted by railings curves inwards to simple square gate piers with corniced caps. Simple pier to outer right. High rubble wall with triangular coping runs S to N forming courtyard entrance to school.

Statement of Interest

This unusually designed school by the Fife architect Andrew Haxton replaced two schools (since demolished) built close to this site on James Street. Plans in the RCAHMS show that Haxton & Watson produced drawings in 1911 incorporating the old Gothic style school but later on in the same year these were abandoned and plans for the new school were drawn.

The school is designed around the assembly hall with classrooms flanking it on either side and a corridor leading northwards with further classrooms leading off. The lower flat-roofed front section contained female and male teachers rooms and boys and girls cloakrooms. Girls entered on the W, boys on the E.

Pittenweem Primary School has a remarkably intact interior. The range in the classroom to the NW was part of the 'Cookery and Manual Instruction Room'. There is a brick shelter to the north west of the playground with a slate roof and two cast-iron columns.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.