History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Water Pump and Enclosing Wall, B937, Near Tannadice Village

A Category C Listed Building in Tannadice, Angus

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.7088 / 56°42'31"N

Longitude: -2.8485 / 2°50'54"W

OS Eastings: 348153

OS Northings: 757780

OS Grid: NO481577

Mapcode National: GBR VN.7GB1

Mapcode Global: WH7Q7.6MVS

Entry Name: Water Pump and Enclosing Wall, B937, Near Tannadice Village

Listing Date: 1 July 2004

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397569

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49888

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Tannadice

County: Angus

Electoral Ward: Brechin and Edzell

Traditional County: Angus

Find accommodation in
Tannadice

Description

Between 1851 and 1865, Walter McFarlane and Co. Cast iron water pump on large stone slab base. Slender lower shaft tapering towards base; wider, urn-like top section with banded decoration; projecting spout to front, long ogee profiled handle to side; saucer-domed cap with moulded finial.

Semicircular wall partly enclosing pump to S, short straight sections to either side (see notes); random rubble dry stone wall with mortared rubble saddleback coping.

Statement of Interest

A good example of a cast iron pump in a rural location; also an early example of a Saracen Foundry pump (see below).

This pump was produced by Walter McFarlane and Co's Saracen Foundry in Glasgow (the distinctive diamond-shaped foundry mark can be found on the cap of the pump), Scotland's leading cast iron manufacturers of the 19th century. The pump is shown on the 1st edition O.S.Map (1865). It would have been installed principally to supply water to the cottage opposite; it may have replaced an open well on the same site.

The short stretches of wall flanking the curved section are all that is left of the wall which once ran along the majority of this field boundary; the majority of this wall was demolished in the 1990s.

The Third Statistical Account comments that until the mid 20th century, 'Tannadice village depended on wells and pumps supplemented by an unreliable gravitational supply from a spring, and most farms and cottages relied on wells and springs.'

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.