This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.7088 / 56°42'31"N
Longitude: -2.8485 / 2°50'54"W
OS Eastings: 348153
OS Northings: 757780
OS Grid: NO481577
Mapcode National: GBR VN.7GB1
Mapcode Global: WH7Q7.6MVS
Plus Code: 9C8VP552+GJ
Entry Name: Water Pump and Enclosing Wall, B937, Near Tannadice Village
Listing Date: 1 July 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397569
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49888
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Brechin and Edzell
Traditional County: Angus
Between 1851 and 1865, Walter McFarlane and Co. Cast iron water pump on large stone slab base. Slender lower shaft tapering towards base; wider, urn-like top section with banded decoration; projecting spout to front, long ogee profiled handle to side; saucer-domed cap with moulded finial.
Semicircular wall partly enclosing pump to S, short straight sections to either side (see notes); random rubble dry stone wall with mortared rubble saddleback coping.
A good example of a cast iron pump in a rural location; also an early example of a Saracen Foundry pump (see below).
This pump was produced by Walter McFarlane and Co's Saracen Foundry in Glasgow (the distinctive diamond-shaped foundry mark can be found on the cap of the pump), Scotland's leading cast iron manufacturers of the 19th century. The pump is shown on the 1st edition O.S.Map (1865). It would have been installed principally to supply water to the cottage opposite; it may have replaced an open well on the same site.
The short stretches of wall flanking the curved section are all that is left of the wall which once ran along the majority of this field boundary; the majority of this wall was demolished in the 1990s.
The Third Statistical Account comments that until the mid 20th century, 'Tannadice village depended on wells and pumps supplemented by an unreliable gravitational supply from a spring, and most farms and cottages relied on wells and springs.'
Other nearby listed buildings