History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lumphinnans, Main Street, War Memorial Including Railings

A Category C Listed Building in Cowdenbeath, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.12 / 56°7'11"N

Longitude: -3.3306 / 3°19'50"W

OS Eastings: 317367

OS Northings: 692712

OS Grid: NT173927

Mapcode National: GBR 23.LFNZ

Mapcode Global: WH6RR.TF5P

Entry Name: Lumphinnans, Main Street, War Memorial Including Railings

Listing Date: 1 July 2004

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397570

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49890

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ballingry

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Cowdenbeath

Parish: Ballingry

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Cowdenbeath

Description

A Murdoch, 1923. Cullaloe sandstone War Memorial commemorating both World Wars.

MEMORIAL: stepped base supporting corniced square pier with granite panels surmounted by carved decoration. Latin cross above on moulded plinth.

S ELEVATION: granite panel: 'TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF LUMPHINNANS WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR - AND THE WORLD WAR 1939-45' followed by names of fallen. Above, carved date 1914-19 within laurel wreath.

W ELEVATION: granite panel with names of fallen. Above, laurel wreath enclosing carved crossed swords motif with word 'WAR'.

N ELEVATION: identical to W elevation, but with wreath enclosing celestial crown of victory.

E ELEVATION: identical to N elevation but with wreath enclosing cross of sacrifice.

RAILINGS: low metal railing to W, S and E.

Statement of Interest

Prominently sited on the north side of the main thoroughfare in Lumphinnans. 70 names are recorded on the memorial as having fallen in the 1st World War and 12 in the Second World War. The Earl of Zetland donated the ground for the monument. Mr Law, a schoolmaster at Lumphinnans School, was the driving force behind the erection of the memorial as he had lost many of his former pupils in the war.

The unveiling ceremony, in front of a large crowd, was carried out by William Adamson MP for West Fife on the 28th April 1923. The Dunfermline Journal notes that Adamson gave a moving speech comparing the memorial to a 'trysting-place' where the families of the fallen may meet their loved ones in spirit. It is likely that many of the fallen were mine workers from the nearby pits.

The architect is noted in the Journal as 'Mr Andrew Murdoch, architectural and monumental sculptor, Abbotshall Road, Kirkcaldy'.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.