This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5497 / 56°32'58"N
Longitude: -2.6698 / 2°40'11"W
OS Eastings: 358916
OS Northings: 739946
OS Grid: NO589399
Mapcode National: GBR VS.V7X9
Mapcode Global: WH7R2.YMTS
Plus Code: 9C8VG8XJ+V3
Entry Name: Arbirlot Primary School
Listing Date: 1 July 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397571
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49891
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Arbroath West, Letham and Friockheim
Traditional County: Angus
Circa 1876. Single storey, originally L-plan with early 20th century additions to form Z-plan; further modern additions to NE and rear. Eclectic detailing; pinnacled bellcote. Squared, snecked, stugged, sandstone rubble. Rounded corners corbelled-out just below eaves. Raised window surrounds; bipartite windows in early 20th century sections.
SE ELEVATION: to left (early 20th century): parapet wall of steps with modern glazed door behind. Centre: original 2-bay elevation; to left bay, gable-end with 2 windows flanking taller central window, all round-headed with shaped cills; above, small tripartite opening of similar pattern; double window of round-headed lights to right bay. 2-bay modern section to right.
SW ELEVATION: predominantly early 20th century; 2-bay advanced section to left, 2-bay section to centre, steps at far right with single bay of original building behind.
NE ELEVATION: 4-bay elevation; 3 bays to left obscured at lower level by modern addition. Advanced gable-end bay to left with small round-headed opening to apex; inner left, blocked opening; inner right, window with 2 round-headed lights; outer right, original window altered to form door with large light above.
NW ELEVATION: gable-end of original building; 2 windows flanking taller central window, all round-headed with shaped cills; above, small tripartite opening of similar pattern. Modern pre-fab addition linked to original building.
GLAZING etc: predominantly 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; to NW elevation, original glazing pattern in timber windows; uPVC windows to SE elevation. Pitched graded slate roof to 1876 building; piended slate roof to early 20th century additions; overhanging bracketed eaves; stone skews and moulded skewputts; stone apex finials (missing from SE elevation); flat roofs to modern additions. To ridge of original building, round-arched bellcote incorporating flanking stacks with circular cans; corniced ridge stack to early 20th century addition, circular cans, one with heart-shaped cut-outs. Some cast iron rain water goods.
B-Group with Arbirlot Schoolhouse.
An interesting example of a rural parish school with unusual detailing, and forming a good group with the adjacent schoolhouse. The early 20th century additions are of some value as they reflect the detailing of the original building; the later additions are of no architectural merit.
When the school was built in 1876, it was intended to provide accommodation for 129 children. In 1879 it had an average attendance of 81 pupils, and held a grant of £58, 12s.
The early 20th century additions provided additional smaller rooms, probably principally for the use of the staff, as offices etc. The outside wall of the original building was retained, along with its original windows and glazing which now look out onto a corridor formed by the early 20th century additions.
Other nearby listed buildings