History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East Kinpurnie, Rail Bridge over Former Dundee and Newtyle Railway

A Category C Listed Building in Newtyle, Angus

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.5566 / 56°33'23"N

Longitude: -3.1591 / 3°9'32"W

OS Eastings: 328848

OS Northings: 741110

OS Grid: NO288411

Mapcode National: GBR VF.5VFQ

Mapcode Global: WH6PQ.FGWJ

Entry Name: East Kinpurnie, Rail Bridge over Former Dundee and Newtyle Railway

Listing Date: 1 July 2004

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397572

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49892

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Newtyle

County: Angus

Electoral Ward: Kirriemuir and Dean

Traditional County: Angus

Find accommodation in
Ardler

Description

Circa 1868. Single-span, segmental-arch, skew-plan bridge carrying former Dundee and Newtyle Railway over road. Curved wing walls, Bull-faced aquared rubble, rusticated ashlar voussoirs and intrados, smooth ashlar impost, parapet base and coping.

Statement of Interest

A good example of railway bridge architecture on a deviation of Scotland's first passenger railway.

The Dundee and Newtyle Railway Act received Royal Assent in 1826, and work began on the line in 1827; the line opened in 1831. The line originally ran between Ward Road in Dundee and the village of Newtyle. It was unusual in that it incorporated 3 inclined planes that required stationary engines to pull the trains uphill; these were known as the Law Incline, the Balbuechly Incline and the Hatton Incline. The Hatton Incline was situated just to the SE of Newtyle.

In 1867 the Newtyle Deviation Act was passed, allowing for a deviation to the line to avoid the Hatton Incline, and enabling the line to be used by locomotive engines throughout. It was as part of the deviation that the East Kinpurnie bridge was built to carry the railway over the road below.

This section of the line was finally closed in 1958.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.