This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8846 / 55°53'4"N
Longitude: -3.3395 / 3°20'22"W
OS Eastings: 316305
OS Northings: 666530
OS Grid: NT163665
Mapcode National: GBR 503D.SC
Mapcode Global: WH6SX.NCY3
Plus Code: 9C7RVMM6+R5
Entry Name: 1 and 5 Main Street, Balerno, Dean Park Primary School Annexe
Listing Date: 6 July 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397577
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49896
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Pentland Hills
Traditional County: Midlothian
Wardrop and Reid, 1877-8, with later alterations and additions. Single storey L-plan gabled primary school building with lower staff-room wing to NW; slated, louvered and spired bell-cote to centre; flat-roofed, library extension (1956) to SW and toilet block (1962) to E. Small piend-roofed building (now nursery, formerly working men's club and reading room, then dinner hall and kitchen) to E. Red brick with yellow brick quoins and reveals. Barge-boarded and bracketed eaves. Segmental-arched openings. Tripartite windows to main gables. 2-leaf timber door with small-pane glazed fanlight in crenellated porch (girls entrance) in re-entrant angle.
INTERIOR: top-lit hall to centre with balustered king-posts to roof and glazed sliding partition to N classroom. Adjoining classrooms with small-pane glazed fanlights giving borrowed light. Original timber tongue and groove panelling and built-in glazed cupboards and other furniture. Decorative cast iron ventilators.
6-pane upper, 4-pane lower sashes to timber sash and case windows. Roof recently re-slated, with modern roof-lights.
An early Board School, built as a consequence of the 1872 Education Act. The 2nd edition OS map shows the building, which was originally a single classroom and schoolroom, without the wing to SW. The school was extended on at least 3 occasions between 1880 and 1914, eventually comprising hall, 6 classrooms, head teacher's and staff rooms, united by consistency of style and detailing. The building forms an important part of the streetscape of Balerno Village, with the spired bell-cote the focal point of the view north from the village Main Street. The well detailed adjoining School Master's house, also by Wardrop and Reid, is separately listed.
Other nearby listed buildings