This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.3335 / 57°20'0"N
Longitude: -2.3276 / 2°19'39"W
OS Eastings: 380377
OS Northings: 827040
OS Grid: NJ803270
Mapcode National: GBR N9MB.LD8
Mapcode Global: WH8NJ.6XWZ
Plus Code: 9C9V8MMC+9X
Entry Name: Weigh Office and Cart Shed, Oldmeldrum Station
Listing Date: 3 August 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397600
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49907
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Mid Formartine
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Mid 19th century. Single storey, rectangular plan building. Roughly squared coursed rubble with red sandstone margins and quoins; timber-boarded section to W end.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: to right, timber-boarded section with full height timber-boarded door. To centre, 2 round-arched openings with 2-leaf timber-boarded doors; to left, timber panelled door; to far left, window (partly boarded-up).
S (REAR) ELEVATION: blank wall; largely obscured by adjoining building (not listed).
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: single window (bricked-up) to right.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: blank gable pitched roof; graded dark grey slates; stone skews and skewputts to E gable and to division between masonry and timber sections Corniced red sandstone gable-head stack with octagonal can to E gable; brick stack to N pitch close to W gable.
B-group with Platform Building, Oldmeldrum Station.
Listed as a good example of a mid-nineteenth century weigh office and cart shed and for its local historical importance as an original building of the Oldmeldrum station complex.
Oldmeldrum station opened in 1856 as the terminus of the Inverurie and Old Meldrum Junction Railway, a short branch line which provided a service between Inverurie Station on the Great North of Scotland line and Old Meldrum in 1866, the Inverurie and Old Meldrum Junction Railway was absorbed by the Great North of Scotland Railway. In 1902 the station was renamed 'Oldmeldrum' (as opposed to its original name of 'Old Meldrum'). It is possible that it was at this time that the current platform building was erected, replacing the original building which stood immediately east of the present building, and which was still extant in 1901. In 1932, passenger services on the line ceased but Oldmeldrum continued to be used by freight traffic. It was especially used for the transport of livestock and agricultural goods; an associated agricultural mart (extant; not listed) was established in the early 20th century to the south-east of the station. In 1966, the station was closed completely by British Rail. Since then, the site has been used for various industrial purposes. The brick engine shed (immediately south east of the platform building; not listed) remains, but has undergone significant extension.
Other nearby listed buildings