This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8634 / 55°51'48"N
Longitude: -4.2539 / 4°15'14"W
OS Eastings: 259038
OS Northings: 665652
OS Grid: NS590656
Mapcode National: GBR 0LK.RW
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.MWJF
Plus Code: 9C7QVP7W+9C
Entry Name: 11, 13 and 15 Bath Street, Albert Chambers
Listing Date: 3 August 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397614
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49919
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Bruce & Hay, dated 1901. 6-storey and basement 6-bay U-plan Free Renaissance commercial building with shops at ground floor. Red sandstone ashlar to street elevation, squared and snecked red sandstone, white glazed brick and harling to other elevations. Deep cill course to 1st floor, cill courses to other floors, string courses, deep eaves cornice, stylised parapet with pinnacles. Broken pediments and scrolled pediments to 3rd floor windows. 3-storey angle turret to NE rising from 4th floor.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical. Near-central aediculated doorpiece with 2 pairs of polished granite Ionic columns, stylised keystone inscribed '1901' with scrolled pediment above flanked by modern shopfronts. Above, 2-bay section flanked by rusticated pilasters with 'ALBERT CHAMBERS' inscribed between 2nd and 3rd floors. 2 blind balustrade sections between 4th and 5th floors. Flanked by paired 2-bay tripartite canted bay sections with rusticated angle pilasters. Excepting 5th floor where balustraded, tripartite and 4-light windows articulated by Doric columns. Angle turret with scrolled and pedimented windows to 4th and 5th floors, 5-light window to top floor separated by columns and surmounted by open balustrade.
E ELEVATION: 2 projecting sections flanking courtyard. Section to left, 6-storey 3-bay harled with deep base course. Section to right, 6-storey 2-bay squared and snecked red sandstone with ground floor deepening southwards to accommodate slope of site. Courtyard bays arranged 4-3-5 from left, with 1-bay section in re-entrant angle to S. White glazed bricks.
S ELEVATION: 6-storey harled, part-obscured by building to SW. Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows with horns to N elevation. Replacement windows to courtyard and S elevation.
INTERIOR: substantially altered. Cast-iron columns remain at ground floor. Some plain cornices beneath false ceilings in offices. Original lift and lift shaft by John Bennie of Glasgow extant (not in use).
A distinctive and imposing building within the Bath Street streetscape following the tradition of many of Glasgow's Chambers. The Dean of Guild plan shows that the intended use for the basement was a cellar and warehouses, with warehouses and shops on the ground floor and warehouses and offices on the upper floors.
Other nearby listed buildings