History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

93 Saracen Street, Former Askit Laboratory and Manufactory Including Boundary Wall

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8805 / 55°52'49"N

Longitude: -4.2547 / 4°15'17"W

OS Eastings: 259050

OS Northings: 667556

OS Grid: NS590675

Mapcode National: GBR 0LC.LR

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.MG49

Entry Name: 93 Saracen Street, Former Askit Laboratory and Manufactory Including Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 3 August 2004

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397619

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49923

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Canal

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Maryhill

Description

William B Whitie, 1932-33. Single storey and 2-storey now 6-bay former laboratory and manufactory, now printing company, with later additions. Predominantly coursed red sandstone ashlar. Advanced doorcase and end bays to original building. Eaves course, piended roof.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central advanced tall doorcase with fanlight flanked by single bays with narrow tripartite windows. At outer bays, advanced piended gables with tripartite windows with stone mullions. To right, slightly recessed later flat-roofed section with tripartite window.

N ELEVATION: to right, later 2-storey 5-bay flat-roofed section. To left, return bay of single storey flat-roofed addition to E elevation with door at ground.

S ELEVATION: 4-bay, harled and painted white, with door at 2nd bay. Predominantly metal-framed windows of 8 or 12 panes. Grey slates.

INTERIOR: substantially altered.

BOUNDARY WALL: to E, low red sandstone wall with flat coping and plain railings with central gate.

Statement of Interest

An important part of Glasgow's industrial history and a distinctive 1930s design in its own right. Originally built to produce the Glasgow product, Askit Powders, which have been manufactured in Glasgow since 1917.

Dean of Guild plans show that the end bays housed the laboratory, store and stock room amongst other functions. The central part of the building consisted of a large room with tables presumably for packaging and finishing the powders.

The printing company which now occupies the building, Gavin Watson Ltd, have expanded to occupy further buildings to the W, including those at 131-135 Killearn Street.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.