This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8805 / 55°52'49"N
Longitude: -4.2547 / 4°15'17"W
OS Eastings: 259050
OS Northings: 667556
OS Grid: NS590675
Mapcode National: GBR 0LC.LR
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.MG49
Plus Code: 9C7QVPJW+54
Entry Name: 93 Saracen Street, Former Askit Laboratory and Manufactory Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 3 August 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397619
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49923
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Canal
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
William B Whitie, 1932-33. Single storey and 2-storey now 6-bay former laboratory and manufactory, now printing company, with later additions. Predominantly coursed red sandstone ashlar. Advanced doorcase and end bays to original building. Eaves course, piended roof.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central advanced tall doorcase with fanlight flanked by single bays with narrow tripartite windows. At outer bays, advanced piended gables with tripartite windows with stone mullions. To right, slightly recessed later flat-roofed section with tripartite window.
N ELEVATION: to right, later 2-storey 5-bay flat-roofed section. To left, return bay of single storey flat-roofed addition to E elevation with door at ground.
S ELEVATION: 4-bay, harled and painted white, with door at 2nd bay. Predominantly metal-framed windows of 8 or 12 panes. Grey slates.
INTERIOR: substantially altered.
BOUNDARY WALL: to E, low red sandstone wall with flat coping and plain railings with central gate.
An important part of Glasgow's industrial history and a distinctive 1930s design in its own right. Originally built to produce the Glasgow product, Askit Powders, which have been manufactured in Glasgow since 1917.
Dean of Guild plans show that the end bays housed the laboratory, store and stock room amongst other functions. The central part of the building consisted of a large room with tables presumably for packaging and finishing the powders.
The printing company which now occupies the building, Gavin Watson Ltd, have expanded to occupy further buildings to the W, including those at 131-135 Killearn Street.
Other nearby listed buildings