This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8551 / 55°51'18"N
Longitude: -4.222 / 4°13'19"W
OS Eastings: 261009
OS Northings: 664671
OS Grid: NS610646
Mapcode National: GBR 0TN.7V
Mapcode Global: WH4QF.33T6
Plus Code: 9C7QVQ4H+36
Entry Name: 607 Gallowgate, Bellgrove Hotel
Listing Date: 3 August 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397625
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49927
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
C J McNair & Elder, 1935-7. 5-storey courtyard plan striking Moderne former working men's hostel. To S and E, cream and black banded tiles at ground floor with alternating bands of brick and white painted cement above. N and W harled. Cill courses to all floors.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: off-centre curved entrance with recessed doorway with large curved flat-roofed canopy above. To left single bay taller section.
E ELEVATION: to left, 10-bay section with rounded corner to far left, tiling at ground floor ceases at bay entrance doorway at bay 2. To right, harled. Single bay recessed section, 2-bay advanced section, further 2-bay recessed section.
N ELEVATION: plain, harled, blank elevation with advanced sections to left.
W ELEVATION: plain, harled/painted blank elevation part-obscured by adjacent shops.
Predominantly original metal-framed 8-pane casement windows.
INTERIOR: predominantly original. Former restaurant and lounge at ground floor in flat roofed section within courtyard. On 1st to 4th floors rooms arranged off four narrow corridors following perimeter of building, some overlooking courtyard. Exceptionally small single rooms with room for small single bed, wash hand basin and radiator. Some original radiators. Double rooms (for men only) at corners of building.
This building is of importance both stylistically and as part of Glasgow's social history. An excellent and particularly striking example of Thirties Moderne architecture, the Bellgrove Hotel encompasses many of the essential components of this style: clean white lines, curves, a horizontal bias, and decorative bands of coloured tiles. It forms a significant part of the streetscape in an area which has changed greatly within the last 50 years.
During the 19th century the area around the Gallowgate became heavily industrialised and the Bellgrove Hotel, as a working mens hostel, was presumably built to provide modest accommodation for the many workers still required in the area in the first half of the 20th century. Historical photographs of the building in use as a hostel in the present dining hall show men relaxing in the lounge at tables and chairs or in easy chairs, and a 'corner of the restaurant' where aproned waitresses stand beside ordered napery-laden tables.
Built for Thomas Roger, the initial set of Dean of Guild Plans drawn in March 1935 show the entrance on the SE corner of the building. The drawings dated December 1935 show the entrance as constructed. The plans show that 2 lavatories, 1 footbath and 1 bathroom were allocated per floor. Steelwork was by Redpath, Brown and Co.
Currently (2004) the building operates as a privately-run hostel for homeless men.
Other nearby listed buildings