History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

79 Springkell Avenue, `whitehall' Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Pollokshields, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8379 / 55°50'16"N

Longitude: -4.2926 / 4°17'33"W

OS Eastings: 256525

OS Northings: 662902

OS Grid: NS565629

Mapcode National: GBR 0BW.X0

Mapcode Global: WH3P8.1J5D

Entry Name: 79 Springkell Avenue, `whitehall' Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 3 August 2004

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397626

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49928

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Pollokshields

Traditional County: Renfrewshire

Find accommodation in
Govan

Description

Robert Duncan, circa 1895, with later billiard room addition by P McGregor Chalmers, circa 1913. 2-storey and attic 3-bay classically-detailed villa. Coursed ashlar to principal elevation, squared and snecked tooled sandstone to other elevations. Base course, string course and cill courses, Doric columned and pedimented portico, canted bays, raised quoins, dentiled eaves, cast-iron brattishing and finials, piend and platform roof.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central advanced portico flanked by canted bay windows, tripartite and advanced at ground, 4-light to 1st floor. Above, section of balustrade between canted bays, single light window and oculus dormer in attic. To right, later single storey 1-bay billiard room addition, with 5-light canted bay.

S ELEVATION: large advanced 2-storey and basement section with irregular fenestration, off-centre pitched roof canted attic dormer above. To right, steps to doorway in single bay section in re-entrant angle. To left, billiard room addition with steps leading to doorway with stained glass to upper panel of door, fanlights and side lights.

Grey slate. Predominantly timber sash and case plate glass windows with horns. Tall wallhead stacks to W, E and S.

INTERIOR: not seen (2004).

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: to N, low coped tooled sandstone wall. To left, pair of square gatepiers with canted finials. To right, more elaborate pair of square gatepiers with ball finials.

Statement of Interest

A good, well-detailed example of a Glasgow merchant's villa with some interesting stained glass.

Built for Walker & Dick (Wrights and Builders) of Paisley Road West. Originally No 5 Springkell Drive, the first owner was William R Gray, ship owner and chandler, of MacBeth & Gray. Purchased in 1913 by Haden R Cooper, engineer, who added the billiard room extension. It was occupied by descendents of Cooper until 1993. Dean of Guild plans for the original house show that a billiard room was planned for the attic floor, but it was presumably not enough for Cooper's requirements. The laundry, washouse and coal cellars were contained in the basement.

The Independent on Sunday article mentions the large stained glass work in the billiard room and notes the subject as Leda and the Swan and the artist as possibly E A Davidson. It may have been an exhibition piece executed by the glassmakers, James Cooper & Sons. Further stained glass in the house is also described.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.