This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8164 / 55°48'59"N
Longitude: -4.2668 / 4°16'0"W
OS Eastings: 258065
OS Northings: 660456
OS Grid: NS580604
Mapcode National: GBR 3R.6H5G
Mapcode Global: WH3PG.F2FC
Plus Code: 9C7QRP8M+H7
Entry Name: 148 and 150 Monreith Road East Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 3 August 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397627
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49929
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Newlands/Auldburn
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Frederick Rowntree, circa 1906. 2-storey Arts and Crafts villa now subdivided to form 2 dwellings. Predominantly harled, painted white. Wide ashlar portico with short timber stylised Doric columns and dentilled cornice. Steeply pitched gables, some half-timber detailing, overhanging eaves, irregular fenestration.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: off-centre portico with catslide roof with 5-light dormer above flanked by irregular gables. To far left, single storey 2-bay section with door and garage set at right angles.
W ELEVATION: modern conservatory addition at ground floor left. To right, 2 tiny ashlar-dressed windows with stained glass panels, above, pair of bipartite windows set between advanced chimney.
S ELEVATION: to left, large advanced gabled section with 6-light canted bay window to ground and 1st floors. To right, bay part-obscured by modern timber conservatory. To far right, advanced gabled section and recessed single bay section with near-contemporary timber conservatory.
Predominantly original casement windows to No 148 and modern glazing to No 150. Modern roof tiles. Wide timber 6-panel door to N elevation, small-paned leaded glass to upper panels. Ashlar stacks. Gable stack to W elevation, pair of stacks halfway down roof to S.
INTERIOR: good. Sympathetically subdivided with curved wall. No 148: original timber staircase, timber panelled ingleneuk to drawing room. No 150: some original timber cupboards with iron hinges and glazed tile range surround to kitchen. Part-glazed inset cupboards flank fireplaces in former dining and morning rooms, that to dining room with painted timber overmantle.
BOUNDARY WALL: to S tall red brick wall with semicircular coping. To N, flat-coped squared and snecked tooled sandstone low wall rising at gate.
A good example of a suburban Arts and Crafts villa and currently (2004) the only listed example of Rowntree's solo work in Scotland.
Frederick Rowntree (1860-1927), a Quaker from Yorkshire worked with C A Bury in Scarborough and Edward Burgess in London before moving to Glasgow and forming a partnership with Malcolm Stark Jr, becoming Malcolm Stark & Rowntree. The partnership ended circa 1899 and Rowntree moved back to England but retained close links with Glasgow through his Glaswegian wife, Mary Gray. Rowntree was closely associated with the Arts and Crafts movement and was a sometime collaborator with George Walton, the interior designer.
Originally called 'Ravensworth', Ravenscourt was built for a Doctor son of the Gray Dunn family of biscuit manufacturers (which Rowntree married into) but it was soon sold to one of the Forsyth's (of department store fame) in 1910. Plans for the subdivision were drawn up by Wylie, Shanks and Wylie in 1950 and carried out soon afterwards.
Other nearby listed buildings