This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.035 / 56°2'5"N
Longitude: -3.3953 / 3°23'42"W
OS Eastings: 313158
OS Northings: 683331
OS Grid: NT131833
Mapcode National: GBR 20.RZ1B
Mapcode Global: WH6S3.TKDW
Plus Code: 9C8R2JM3+XV
Entry Name: Inverkeithing Station, Including Timber Fence
Listing Date: 4 August 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397660
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49950
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Traditional County: Fife
1888-1890. Single storey, rectangular-plan station partially built over Keithing Burn, supported by H-beams. Brick-built, timber framing to W; base course to N, W and S. W (platform) elevation: 6 transomed windows; flanking 2 late 20th century glazed doors; 2 transom lights to far left; full-length cantilevered awning with decorative valance. S elevation: plain gable with transomed window supporting canopy to left. E (rear) elevation: 5 windows (2 narrow windows to right). Pitched roof; grey slates; overhanging bracketed eaves, exposed chamfered rafters to gableheads. Timber picket fencing along railway lining E platform and N part of W platform.
INTERIOR: 2 waiting rooms to S now forming single large waiting room; circulation around fireplaces (boxed in) at party wall. Faience tiled lavatories to small room to far left (currently used as storage facility, 2003).
Originally a pair of ranges on opposite platforms; only the east block now survives (a post-modern station building was erected on the W platform, opened in 1986). The station was re-built by the North British Railway when the Forth Bridge Railway Company erected the North Approach Railway as a part of the construction of the Forth Bridge. The North Approach Railway is just over 3km in length commencing from the abutment at the N end of the Forth Bridge and terminating at Inverkeithing at the former junction with the North British Railway. A similar station was built by the Forth Railway Bridge Company at North Queensferry (see separate listing).
Other nearby listed buildings