This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0317 / 56°1'54"N
Longitude: -3.3934 / 3°23'36"W
OS Eastings: 313269
OS Northings: 682964
OS Grid: NT132829
Mapcode National: GBR 20.RZKZ
Mapcode Global: WH6S3.VN9D
Entry Name: King Street, Bridge over Keithing Burn
Listing Date: 4 August 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397662
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49951
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Traditional County: Fife
1815; later 19th and 20th century alterations. Single span, round arch, random rubble bridge with dressed voussoirs. Later raised rubble parapet with droved ashlar coping. Widened to N incorporating reinforced concrete construction. Remains of former mill buildings adjoining to NE corner.
It is probable that from an early period a bridge of some form has spanned the Keithing Burn directly outside the East Port (technically outside of the early burgh boundary) at the foot of King Street (formerly known as Mill Port). The road continued outside the burgh boundary through to Goukhall (renamed Alma Street after the Crimean War). This roadway was the main access route to Spencerfield (see separate listing - an important holding formerly held by the Scott family) and on to Burntisland via the hamlet of Hillend. Burgh records of the 17th and 18th centuries demonstrate references to the repair and reconstruction of roads beyond the burgh's limits and include references to Goukhall. Stephen notes specific references made to a 'decayit brig' in 1622. This same bridge underwent considerable repairs in the late 17th century, being provided with buttresses. From 1699 repeated sums were spent in maintaining it. Finally, a proper replacement was erected across the Mill Raw (King Street) in 1815 at a cost of £79/2/- (Stephen). An early water mill (possibly as far back as the 13th century) mill was located to the NW corner of the bridge. A later mill was located on the NE corner of the bridge but was converted into flats in 1884. This last building (formerly 5 storeys in height) is now demolished but its remains are still in evidence.
Other nearby listed buildings