This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0321 / 56°1'55"N
Longitude: -3.3985 / 3°23'54"W
OS Eastings: 312951
OS Northings: 683011
OS Grid: NT129830
Mapcode National: GBR 20.RY7J
Mapcode Global: WH6S3.RNW3
Entry Name: Roods Road, Inverkeithing Primary Schools, Including Boundary Walls and Playshed
Listing Date: 4 August 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397668
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49955
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Traditional County: Fife
Inverkeithing Public Schools consisting of 2 school buildings built 1874 and 1913 respectively on large site in Roods Road above and to W of the main road. Andrew Scobie, 1874. Small, single storey, 10-bay, H-plan plain Tudor, Board School with prominent gabled bays. Brydon & Robertson, dated 1913. 2-storey and mezzanines, 22-bay, rectangular-plan senior primary school to SW of site. Large playshed to SE of site.
JUNIOR PRIMARY (1874): single storey, 10-bay, H-plan school. Squared coursed whinstone to E (principal elevation) and E end of N and S (side elevations); snecked rubble to N, S and W; droved ashlar quoins, rybats and dressings; ashlar basecourse; chamfered window openings; hoodmoulded windows and doors to E. E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Central, slightly advanced gabled and finialled bay, tripartite transomed and mullioned hoodmoulded windows, scrolled label stops; 3 transomed windows to left. Slightly recessed gabled bay with bipartite transomed and mullioned windows to penultimate bay left; wide gabled bay to far left with hoodmoulded 4-light transomed and mullioned windows, scrolled label stops. Gothic-arched doorway with shaped hoodmould recessed to left return, advanced piended 2-bay section with transomed windows to left of doorway. Right section of identical arrangement. N ELEVATION: 6-bay. Door with fanlight and sidelight inserted into former window opening to far left; 5 evenly spaced windows to right. Ground falling to E. W (REAR) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Large gabled breaking eaves dormers with slate cheeks to advanced end pavilions, large bipartite windows. Central 8-bay recessed block, central cement-rendered chimneystack, 3 flanking windows; flat-roofed porches with advanced single pitch bays in re-entrant angles. Sunken boiler house advanced to middle of centre block. Rendered cement boiler stack. S ELEVATION: 6-bay. 6 bipartite windows to wallhead. Ground falling to E. INTERIOR: original classroom layouts mostly intact. Typical central schoolroom with subsidiary classrooms to each wing (that to N converted into cafeteria). Tongue and groove timber wainscot throughout. No fireplaces remaining.
SENIOR PRIMARY SCHOOL (1911-1913): 2-storey, 22-bay, roughly rectangular-plan school with plain classical detailing. Squared and coursed rubble-faced stone; smooth ashlar dressings and quoins. Raised base course; cill courses; band courses; moulded and dentilled eaves course; pavilion ends with shallow raised pilaster details; full-height segmental pedimented bay; central flèche. E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. 22-bays, arranged 3-7-2-7-3. Central, slightly advanced, full-height, segmental arched double bay, carved date panel '1913'; 3-bay, slightly advanced end pavilions. Central hexagonal-plan flèche ventilator with conical copper roof. N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5-bay. Central raised porch, stone steps, moulded and keystoned doorway, corniced deep stone parapet with carved panel inscribed "GIRLS", 2-leaf timber panel doors, 9-pane fanlight. Advanced single storey canted section to right, late 20th century rendered flat-roof extension to far right; ground floor window to left. Single and bipartite windows at 1st floor. W (REAR) ELEVATION: symmetrical. 28-bays, arranged 5-3-12-3-5. Regular fenestration. 5-bay end sections slightly recessed, with mezzanine level between ground and 1st floors. Slightly advanced corniced stone porches at 5th bay to left and right, late 20th century 2-leaf metal doors. Late 20th century flat-roofed rendered extension to far left. S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5-bay. Central raised porch, stone steps, moulded and keystoned doorway, corniced deep stone parapet with carved panel inscribed "BOYS", 2-leaf timber panel doors, 9-pane fanlight. Advanced late 20th century rendered lean-to extension to right. Irregular fenestration, large stair window off-centre left. Tall corniced tapered ashlar boiler stack to left at wallhead. INTERIOR: cream and green faience tiles to dado height along corridors; original chalkboards set in panels; internal glazing to classrooms along corridors; large recreational hall to centre of W section of plan with glazed and timber panelled folding screen, wooden stage to S; simple decorative metal work to wide stairs to N & S; plain cornices throughout.
1874 school: lying pane vertical windows; 4-pane sash and case windows to rear. Pitched and piended roofs; graded grey slates; moulded ashlar skews and skewputts. 1913 school: Predominantly 6-pane sash and case windows; Piended and pavilion roofs; green slates.
BOUNDARY WALLS and PLAYSHED: coped random rubble walls; SW section of coursed rubble set between cast-iron railings and 3 chunky ashlar arched gateways at road height. Square-plan stugged squared rubble gatepiers (1874) to NW entrance with square section coping. Flat-roofed squared coursed rock-faced rubble playshed, ashlar quoins, interior faces lined with white faience tiles, central cast-iron column support.
The Inverkeithing schools are a landmark set on a prominent site high above the burgh's main street. A grammar school was established in Church Street, Inverkeithing in 1819 (demolished, now the site of war memorial - see separate listing). However, shortly after the 1872 Education Scotland Act, a new primary school was erected in Roods Road in 1874, after which time the grammar school was used for infant classes. The architect, Andrew Scobie was a relatively well-known architect to the Dunfermline area and had already completed a number of important commissions, including Bruce Street Hall (1866). Scobie was simultaneously awarded two school commissions in 1874 and as well as designing the modest school at Inverkeithing, he also produced a more overtly Gothic design for Milesmark Primary School, Rumblingwell, Dunfermline. Scobie specialised in public commissions and when his son joined him after the turn of the 20th century, their practice would continue to undertake more school commissions, including that at Brock Street, North Queensferry (1912-1914 - see separate listing). However the commission to design the second school on the Roods Road site was granted to Glasgow architects, Brydon & Robertson who were specialists in providing large, functional commercial buildings including industrial works, schools and hospitals, including the Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital in Rottenrow (1903). Inverkeithing was a thriving burgh in the early part of the 20th century due to the development of Rosyth Dockyards, Caldwell's Papermill and the advent of the Forth Bridge. Therefore in 1911, a new primary school was necessary to provide for the rapidly increasing population.
Other nearby listed buildings