This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5847 / 55°35'4"N
Longitude: -2.6174 / 2°37'2"W
OS Eastings: 361176
OS Northings: 632512
OS Grid: NT611325
Mapcode National: GBR B35V.4W
Mapcode Global: WH8XW.RWSK
Entry Name: St Boswell's, Mertoun Glebe
Listing Date: 24 August 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397689
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49974
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Jedburgh and District
Traditional County: Berwickshire
John Lockie, 1767-1769. 2-storey, 3-bay, roughly rectangular plan former manse with 19th and early 20th century additions; flanking former stabling and steading ranges forming U-plan complex. Painted rubble; red sandstone cills and margins. Advanced 2-storey gabled porch to front; central dated gable to rear; rectangular dormers; corniced and pedimented doorpiece.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Advanced gabled 2-storey central bay, window at ground and 1st floors, corniced and pedimented stone doorpiece to right return. Stop-chamfered bipartite windows to outer bays at ground floor; single windows at 1st floor; dormers centred above. Pitched single storey bay to left; single storey and attic, 2-bay extension to right with canted 5-light dormers (20th century).
NW (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: 3-bays. Ground floor sunk partly below ground level; later pitched-roof porch at ground height to left; central piended porch off centre left below ground level; small window to left. Central stair window, central gable with red sandstone roundel in gablehead dated '1767'. Flanking 1st floor windows to outer bays. 2-storey flat roof extension set in left re-entrant angle. Pitched roof former stabling at right angles left (later garage door); pitched roof former dairy and byre at right angle to right with square ventilator; later garage extension.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows; pitched roof; graded grey slates; terracotta ridge tiles; lead covered stone skews; corniced gable-end and ridge stacks; tapered square clay cans.
A good example of a traditional 18th century manse with adjoining farm buildings. The manse retains much of its original architectural character, despite later additions which have not significantly detracted from the general plan. The manse was built over an existing house; the single storey addition to the E with later canted dormers demonstrates early to mid 18th century margins (possible evidence of the earlier building). SAS notes improvements to the manse in 1791. Heritor Records note the addition of storm windows and external porch in 1861 probably referring to the changes made to the principal elevation which include the dormers, the bipartite widows and the new doorpiece. Early 20th century additions were executed within the corner of the E wing to form an additional floor and separate flatted accommodation.