History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

45 South Portland Street and 100 Norfolk Street, Deaf Connections Centre (Former Gorbals Public Library)

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8527 / 55°51'9"N

Longitude: -4.2564 / 4°15'22"W

OS Eastings: 258848

OS Northings: 664464

OS Grid: NS588644

Mapcode National: GBR 0LP.8Q

Mapcode Global: WH3P8.L5C3

Entry Name: 45 South Portland Street and 100 Norfolk Street, Deaf Connections Centre (Former Gorbals Public Library)

Listing Date: 27 August 2004

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397698

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49979

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Southside Central

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

Office of Public Works, circa 1930. 2-storey and basement 6-1-7 bay near square plan classical former Gorbals Library on corner site. Coursed red sandstone ashlar to principal elevations, red brick to other elevations. Round-arched doorpiece, eaves cornice, parapet. Openings set in recesses, bays predominantly articulated by stylised pilasters. Bays 1 to 4 and 10-14 advanced.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: (at corner of South Portland Street and Norfolk Street) near-central single bay with steps oversailing basement. Wide entrance with semicircular fanlight above set in round-arched doorpiece. Above, bipartite windows to 1st and 2nd floors. Flanked by 2-bay 4-storey sections. To left, 4-bay section. To right, 5-bay section.

E ELEVATION: to left, 2-storey and basement 5-bay section. To right, advanced blank section, to far right, 5-storey single bay section.

Modern glazing. Modern slightly pitched metal roof.

INTERIOR: altered. Original staircase with metal railing intact.

Statement of Interest

A rare survivor in an area which was comprehensively redeveloped in the 20th century. Strikingly set on a corner site, it ceased being a library in 1986. Deaf Connections moved to the building in 1988-9 and is descended from the Royal Institute for the Deaf and Dumb founded in 1827. Plaques from the John Ross Memorial Church for the Deaf at 158 West Regent Street (now converted to offices, see separate list description) are in the theatre which is now in the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.