This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1252 / 56°7'30"N
Longitude: -3.785 / 3°47'5"W
OS Eastings: 289137
OS Northings: 693932
OS Grid: NS891939
Mapcode National: GBR 1K.L1N6
Mapcode Global: WH5QD.T9TP
Entry Name: Parkhead Road, Sauchie Hospital Lodge ,including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 21 September 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397703
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49983
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Clackmannanshire Central
Traditional County: Clackmannanshire
Messrs Melvin & Son, architects, 1895. Single storey, 3 bay lodge to former infectious diseases hospital. Squared and snecked bull faced pink sandstone to SW elevation, squared and snecked sandstone rubble to remainder, polished ashlar dressings. Base course; stop chamfered long and short dressings; projecting cills on scrolled panels; long and short dressings and quoins; overhanging eaves with timber bargeboards (gableheads originally half timbered, now infilled).
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; doorway to centre bay of ground floor, panelled timber door; bipartite window to flanking bay to left; gabled bay advanced to right, bipartite window to centre, open segmental pediment above.
SE ELEVATION: blank.
NE ELEVATION: not seen 2001.
NW ELEVATION: gabled.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows with margine-pane glazing pattern to upper sashes. Graded green grey slate roof, terracotta tiled ridges with finials to gableheads. Corniced gablehead stacks and stacks breaking pitch, circular cans. Cast iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers.
INTERIOR: not seen 2001.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: gateway to W of lodge, low sandstone quadrant walls surmounted by railings flanking, square plan sandstone ashlar piers at angle, with segmental arched caps.
Sauchie Hospital opened in 1895 as the Clackmannan County Infectious Diseases Hospital and was one of the first hospitals of its kind in Scotland. Infectious diseases hospitals such as this were generally built following the 1867 and 1897 Public Health Acts which required Local Authorities to provide and maintain hospitals for epidemic, endemic and infectious diseases.
The hospital site was a field near Parkhead Farm, after which the road is named. The site was chosen as it had "a natural fall towards the south-west, and the buildings are to be placed so that the wards will have as much of the sun as possible" (County Register, 1893, p13). Air tight windows within the doctor's and matron's rooms allowed inspection of the wards. The aforementioned wards were heated by open fires and ventilated naturally. The County Register also notes that "In carrying out the details the utmost care will be exercised to have all internal and external angles in the wards rounded, the ledges will be avoided as far as possible so as to prevent dust collecting." (1893, p14). This building is a good example of the domestic Arts and Crafts, in the free Queen Anne style applied to institutional buildings in the late 19th and early 20th century.
Other nearby listed buildings