This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.5426 / 57°32'33"N
Longitude: -2.5498 / 2°32'59"W
OS Eastings: 367186
OS Northings: 850408
OS Grid: NJ671504
Mapcode National: GBR N82S.DMD
Mapcode Global: WH8MF.TP04
Plus Code: 9C9VGFV2+23
Entry Name: Carnousie, Mains of Carnousie
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397771
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9601
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
Traditional County: Banffshire
Circa 1577. Z-plan, 2-storey and attic tower-house, possibly formerly L-plan with round tower to NW added later. Mid-18th century additions by William Adam demolished during mid-20th century restoration. Harled with rubble base course, red sandstone chamfered margins, some roll-moulded.
S ELEVATION: square tower adjoining main block at SE angle, round tower adjoining NW angle. Gable end of SE tower with window at each floor. Round-arched, roll-moulded doorway on return with boarded door, gunloops to left. Corbelled stair tower in re-entrant angle, rising from 1st floor to attic with gunloop and 1 small window. Main block with 3 arrow slit openings and gunloop at ground, 3 tall, 18th century windows at 1st floor to great hall. 3 windows to 2nd floor breaking eaves in cat-slide dormers. Round tower to NW with tall windows at 1st and 2nd floors.
N ELEVATION: small corbelled stair turret in angle of main block and SE tower, connecting 2nd floor and attic. Irregular fenestration; many small openings. Arrow slit windows at ground floor, gunloop to tower. Taller window of each elevation at 1st floor. 2 cat-slide dormers to 2nd floor of main block. Sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing pattern. Windows to SE tower half timbered with panelled shutters, plate glass above. Renewed grey slates, conical roof to NW tower with ball finial. Crowstepped gables, corniced stacks with dentil moulding
and rubble cope above.
INTERIOR: vaulted at ground floor. Newel stair to great hall at 1st floor; roll-moulded fireplace with reset, fragmentary frieze and inscription above.
Carnousie was built by the Ogilvie family of Dunlugas in the late 16th century; Walter Ogilvy sold the lands, barony and newly constructed fortalice to his brother in 1583 (Simpson). Additions were made in 1740 by William Adam (see Braco Case) with a 3-storey wing raised over a basement projecting to the South. (The intention may have been to lower the SE tower and to add a wing to the E, forming a symmetrical frontage). A full description of the castle prior to demolitions can be found in TBFC 1936 by W D Simpson, photographs in NMRS, for
ground plan see OS Map 1871-4. Patrick Duff built an alternative residence to the castle, circa 1825; The Cottage was sited to the SE overlooking the Deveron, the rear wing survives opposite the modern Carnousie House. A third mansion was begun circa 1830, designed by Archibald Simpson (see plan and elevation, Aberdeen Public Library). Almost complete when the property was again sold in 1843, this house was neglected, and demolished circa 1930 (see Colvin p737) and the stone used to build Elphinstone Hall, Aberdeen. The walled garden survives, listed separately. The imposing steading to the W was built by General Duff in 1797, and is listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings