History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

A947, Goval Bridge

A Category B Listed Building in East Garioch, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.2237 / 57°13'25"N

Longitude: -2.1851 / 2°11'6"W

OS Eastings: 388918

OS Northings: 814786

OS Grid: NJ889147

Mapcode National: GBR XK.SQHJ

Mapcode Global: WH9Q9.DPPM

Entry Name: A947, Goval Bridge

Listing Date: 10 March 2004

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397786

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49670

Building Class: Cultural

Location: New Machar

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: East Garioch

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Dyce

Description

Circa 1800, widened circa 1880. Single-span segmentally arched bridge with parapet flanked by projecting pilasters, wingwalls (extended to W side). Coursed squared granite rubble; bullfaced squared rubble to arch ring and base of pilasters. Square coped, slightly sloped parapet with corbelled stringcourse to base course. Pilasters, stringcourse (level with that of parapet); blind quatrefoil flanked by blind arrowloops; square coping. Saddleback coping to extensive lengths of wingwalls to W.

Statement of Interest

The Goval Bridge carries the Banff-Aberdeen turnpike road over the Goval Burn. The passing of the Aberdeenshire Turnpike Act facilitated the establishment of a turnpike road between Banff and Aberdeen. Work on the road began with the stretch between Oldmeldrum and Aberdeen in 1800. However, even this southern length of the road could not be completed until sufficient subscribers could be found to fund the expense of a bridge over the Don at Dyce. This was eventually built (of timber, to later be replaced by a stone bridge) in 1802. In 1807 the Banff- Aberdeen turnpike was compete, forming an important transport artery through Aberdeenshire.

This bridge is likely to have been built as part of the initial turnpike construction programme, circa 1800.The inserted brick arch was the result of a widening of the bridge to accommodate increased traffic in the later 19th century. The decorative details of the bridge, particularly the blind quatrefoils

and arrowloops, and the corbel course below the parapet, are strongly reminiscent of the style of Alexander Stevens and Son, architects and civil engineers who also did a great deal of bridge building, often to their own designs (eg. Bridge of Dun, Angus, 1785). There is however, no known direct link between the Stevens? and this particular bridge.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.