History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gateside, Bog Hall, Including Former Farm Buildings to Rear

A Category C Listed Building in Beith, North Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7518 / 55°45'6"N

Longitude: -4.6118 / 4°36'42"W

OS Eastings: 236180

OS Northings: 654031

OS Grid: NS361540

Mapcode National: GBR 3B.BNP8

Mapcode Global: WH3PH.4P5F

Entry Name: Gateside, Bog Hall, Including Former Farm Buildings to Rear

Listing Date: 31 March 2004

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397789

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49732

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Beith

County: North Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Dalry and West Kilbride

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Beith

Description

Later 19th century house; mid 18th century farm buildings with later alterations. 2-storey 3-bay L-plan house with projecting, flat-roofed enclosed porch to centre; flanking slightly advanced bipartite windows; 3 windows to 1st floor. Rendered with exposed, dressed ashlar margins and rusticated quoins. Later wing to rear R forming U-plan; late 20th century timber addition between wings.

Timber sash and case windows; 12-pane to 1st floor, lying-pane to ground at gables, bipartites 8-pane. Grey slates; sawtooth skews; coped ashlar end stacks; moulded octagonal clay cans.

INTERIOR: cast-iron balustrade to central stair; timber panelled doors; decorative cornices. Chimneypieces replaced.

FORMER FARM BUILDINGS TO REAR: probably mid 18th century, with later additions. Original L-plan single storey and loft range with additional infill forming U-plan. Farm workers accommodation with splayed, corbelled chimneybreast; built-in slate shelves to side (probably for salt) and press recess; formerly lofts above. Former byre and stable (altered) with mounting block outside.

Statement of Interest

Bog Hall was acquired by Hew Montgomerie of Braidstane in 1691. The lands passed to his son Mathew who died without an heir. Mathew Pollock of Boghouse acquired the lands in 1734 and was succeeded by his son Mathew in 1771. In 1790 his son Mathew succeeded and in 1826 his son also Mathew. In 1833 Margaret Shedden purchased Bog Hall and, after the death of her husband John Shedden Dobie, it was sold to Charles Greenshields Reid of Grangehill. In 1858 it was sold to William Ross JP, who probably built the house. In the 20th century the Knox family were owners.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.