This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9895 / 54°59'22"N
Longitude: -3.9122 / 3°54'43"W
OS Eastings: 277748
OS Northings: 567776
OS Grid: NX777677
Mapcode National: GBR 1B3R.T6
Mapcode Global: WH4VM.WV6B
Entry Name: Old Bridge of Urr, Signpost at B794 Junction
Listing Date: 14 October 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397811
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50002
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Kirkpatrick Durham
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Castle Douglas and Crocketford
Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire
Stanton, 1933. Painted cast-iron signpost with 4 later arms. Tapered post painted in black and white stripes. 4 ring shafts; corniced base; hoop finial reading KIRKCUDBRIGHTSHIRE in raised lettering to both sides. Maker's mark: STANTON 1933 in raised lettering near base of post. Later sheet-metal arms attached with metal bands; painted lettering and arrows.
Situated at the SE end of Haugh of Urr, at the junction between the roads to Dalbeattie and Urr Church. This type of road sign, or 'fingerpost' was once ubiquitous on the roads of Scotland, and is an important part of the history of road transport. Many were erected during the inter-war period, as a response to the increasing use of the motor car. Most of these signposts have now been replaced by modern signs which are more legible to fast-moving traffic. However, other fingerposts are known to survive in Ayrshire and East Lothian. Although a number of fingerposts exist on the minor roads of Dumfries and Galloway, many of them have lost either their original post or arms or parts thereof, and very few now survive in anything approaching their original condition. The five best surviving known examples of this type of free-standing signpost in Dumfries and Galloway have been selected for statutory listing in recognition of their attractive design, historical importance and present scarcity. The other signposts are located at Loch Head (near Elrig, Wigtownshire), Kirkland (near Moniave), Old Haugh of Urr, and Corsock. Stanton was originally an iron works based at Ilkeston near Derby, and branched out into manufacturing iron pipes in 1919. The arms of this road sign are not the originals and probably date from the 1960s or '70s. There are four arms to the post. One is for KIRKPATRICK DURNHAM 1 ¾; one is for B794 DALBEATTIE; one is for CLAREBRAND 1 ¼ CASTLE DOUGLAS 3 ½; the last is for B794 CORSOCK. A signpost is marked at this location on the 2nd edition OS, but this is obviously a later replacement.
Other nearby listed buildings